Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB Bag Squeezing Question  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Mr_Beer

• Cellarman
BIAB Bag Squeezing Question
« on: July 12, 2020, 08:31:02 am »
I think this is the correct forum area, I apologize if not.

After doing reasonable research on BIAB bag squeezing I think the consensus is:
•   Base malts and low color and caramel malts give up their extract easily, so squeezing the bag gives you retained wort instead of retained extract. Squeeze as much and often as possible.
•   Roast malts and high color caramel malts, like Special B, don’t give up their extract easily, and aggressively squeezing the grain bag will release more of the roast compounds into the wort. These compounds can taste quite harsh. 

To avoid the harsh compounds my notion is that roast malts and high color malts should be crushed separately and put into another bag inside the pot with the base malts.   Remove that bag and drain only.  DO NOT squeeze.

Any opinions or suggestions??

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BIAB Bag Squeezing Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:42:37 am »
Regardless what grains are in the bag, I squeeze until I hit my pre-determined post mash volume.  Then I stop squeezing.  I have never noticed any extra harshness from squeezing roast malts.

That said, the 2 bag theory is kind of interesting.  I would love to hear from those that may have tried it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:58:30 am »
Regardless what grains are in the bag, I squeeze until I hit my pre-determined post mash volume.  Then I stop squeezing.  I have never noticed any extra harshness from squeezing roast malts.

That said, the 2 bag theory is kind of interesting.  I would love to hear from those that may have tried it.

THIS.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 09:12:48 am »
Squeezing bags will get more insoluble substances into the final wort than dripping.
You can visualize this well in cheese making. Liquid is quite clear when dripping, gets white when you squeeze.
Whether the insoluble substances contribute positively, negatively or both is up to those who taste the beer.
Most but not all these insoluble substances will precipitate after the boil. Some may contribute flavors during the boil.
Summary. It's not the same but whether it matters or not is up to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
BIAB Bag Squeezing Question
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 09:46:12 am »
Another data point: I use a Brew Bag in the MLT. When I used to lift the bag I would get cloudy wort in the BK. But now that I recirculate and pump from the MLT leaving the bag in place, I get crystal clear wort in the BK.

Whether that matters or not is up for debate ...but logic dictates there is something in the turbid wort that’s not in the clear wort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:47:52 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 10:32:40 am »
Prior to switching to the Foundry, I did no-sparge in a cooler lined with a BIAB bag. I always squeezed my bag like I was dying of thirst and it was filled with Bear Grylls pee. (If you don't get the reference, be thankful) I can't say that I've noticed a difference in flavor using darker grains with the Foundry (no bag/no squeeze) vs bag-squeezing. I haven't brewed a porter or stout with the Foundry yet, but I've used plenty of darker crystal malts like C-120 and Simpson's DRC.

Even if these malts potentially do release some harsher compounds if squeezed, keep in mind that the bulk of the grain bag is going to be base malt and that could potentially end up filtering out much of these insoluble compounds. The two bag method sounds interesting, and I'd love to hear how the experiment goes, but in my experience I don't know if it's necessary.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 04:04:07 pm »
www.brewinabag.com instructions say squeeze, so I squeeze. I figure they’re a reliable source.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 04:30:29 pm »
I squeeze too  :-*

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 08:58:11 pm »
I've only done about five batches, but I squeeze like the dickens. By the time I pour into a glass, everything's precipitated out, and no one's ever mentioned any off-flavors to me. 🤷‍♂️
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 06:03:58 am »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 03:25:37 pm »
I think you’ve invented a new piece of brewing equipment. Slap a “BrewBama’s BIAB Squeezer” label on it and watch the cash roll in.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 01:48:23 pm »

You just need a drain spout and a way to purge it with CO2.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 06:49:33 pm »

Lol. That's far better than my idea of mashing in an old toilet and sparging by flushing.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 08:05:31 pm »
Make sure it's BPA-free 😂
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.