Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with IPA recipe  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Help with IPA recipe
« on: July 13, 2020, 11:17:17 am »
Hey folks, I have been think about one post in the forum what beer your struggle most, for me was the obvious british beers, but second to that is the IPA, I don't know why most don't hit the right spot, the only one I did good was my first beer, it was suppose to be a american pale ale but lost like 2 gallon of beer in the end, so did the abv, ibu and colour of a IPA, it was good for the first one I did. So I'm trying to create a base recipe for my IPA's and need help.
5 Gallon efficienty of 75-80%, and I have 2 options of base of the recipe, in the malt side I mean, the first one I already did and the colour is a beatiful amber red, using:
10 pound of 2 row
14 oz of carared
14 oz of caramunich I
10.5 oz of caragold or caramunich II
This give me 1.065 of OG and with a good attenuation the FG of 1.011, like I said already did use this base and give about 28 EBC, but I'm think going with this one to new base for a IPA:
9 pound of 2 row
2 pound and 6 oz of munich light
10.5 oz of caraamber
7 oz of caramunich I
With this one I get more body and less abv for paring with the bitter of a american or english IPA, what you guys think?
Another help I need is that my friend gonna do a birthday party and ask me 5 gallon of beer, he love IPA and love 60 minute IPA and stone IPA, so I was think doing addition of 5 and 5 minute from the 30 minute to flame out (30, 25, 20, 15, 10 and 5) for this I'm looking the best hop to give a nice flavor, aroma and not a harsh bitterness and I'm gonna give the hops to him, and I have chinook, simcoe and nugget, the first 2 I'm gonna use for sure, he love those 2, but the nugget don't seen the best option, so I was think about cascade or amarillo, but the problem I personaly don't like amarillo, and I love cascade, but the cohumulone is little high and I'm afraid of begin a little to harsh, what you guys sugest to pairing with simcoe and chinook? Amarillo, cascade or nugget?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Help with IPA recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:24:19 am »
First, I'd say yiur grist is overcomplicate.  It look like you want to make west coast style IPA.  Traditionally that pale malt and 10% crystal.  You might want to start there.  I don't think your every 5 min hop schedule is worth it.  If it was me, I'd do FWH, 60 min., flameout and dry hop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 11:46:38 am »
First, I'd say yiur grist is overcomplicate.  It look like you want to make west coast style IPA.  Traditionally that pale malt and 10% crystal.  You might want to start there.  I don't think your every 5 min hop schedule is worth it.  If it was me, I'd do FWH, 60 min., flameout and dry hop.
Thanks Denny gonna do this, and about the dry hop, I don't know what is happen with me after I done a NEIPA my dry hop aren't working, and to be honest I not my coup of tea, but maybe gonna do FWH, fameout and hop stand, but thanks for the tip, and I just remember I would like to use maris otter on this beer as base, but can't find here, there a combination of malts that may get a little closer? And this gonna be the base of all my IPA's and american and english IPA's

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 11:49:36 am »
Thanks Denny gonna do this, and about the dry hop, I don't know what is happen with me after I done a NEIPA my dry hop aren't working, and to be honest I not my coup of tea, but maybe gonna do FWH, fameout and hop stand, but thanks for the tip, and I just remember I would like to use maris otter on this beer as base, but can't find here, there a combination of malts that may get a little closer? And this gonna be the base of all my IPA's and american and english IPA's

IMO, if you want a WCIPA (and maybe you don't) then NO is not the way to go.  And I've completely stopped doing a hop stand in favor of cold dry hopping.  Also only my opnion, but the base of an American and English IPA should not be the same.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 12:26:44 pm »

IMO, if you want a WCIPA (and maybe you don't) then NO is not the way to go.  And I've completely stopped doing a hop stand in favor of cold dry hopping.  Also only my opnion, but the base of an American and English IPA should not be the same.

Thanks again Dennis, gonna create a base for one and for another, I want to try do english IPA one day. Thanks again and good brewing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 12:52:14 pm »

Thanks again Dennis, gonna create a base for one and for another, I want to try do english IPA one day. Thanks again and good brewing!

Same to you!

www.dennybrew.com