Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ideas for brewing with Grand Marnier  (Read 2720 times)

Offline MIBeerGuy

• 1st Kit
  • Michigan Beer Guy
    • Michigan Beer Guy Blog
Ideas for brewing with Grand Marnier
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:45:28 pm »
I am interested in brewing something with Grand Marnier as an ingredient, probably soaked in oak cubes or toasted oak chips.  Only recipe I've found online is a DIPA that seems rather simple, and I am skeptical of the recipe, not sure how hops would hold up with a 90-day secondary; see https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/grand-marnier-ba-dipa
Does anyone have any advice on what other styles would work?  I saw a Grand Marnier Imperial Stout from a brewery in England, and have also wondered whether either an Old Ale or Barleywine would work since there is extended aging required.  GM has a lot of residual sugars, so I figure extended aging might allow those to ferment out, but then again would the high abv of the booze kill off the yeast?  I've also pondered brewing a Citra IPA and adding GM soaked oak chips to the secondary. 
Suggestions anyone?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:47:52 pm by MIBeerGuy »

Offline brewday

• Brewer
Re: Ideas for brewing with Grand Marnier
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:54:57 pm »
How about a Wheat Wine?  It's the first thing that popped in my head.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:25:15 am »
I don't much care for the look of that DIPA recipe. it might be fine but I would skip the amber LME and double the DME then add some color with specialty steeping grains. keep the sugar though.

the 90 day secondary ageing on oak seems exteme but as long as you wait to dry hop till after it might be fine.

I think the stout, barley wine, or wheat wine is a better way to go. the alcohol in the grand marnier won't hurt the yeast because it'll be maybe a cup in 5 gallons. it won't increase the ABV significantly. I would soak some oak chips in the GM and age to taste.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:47:36 am »
It doesn't say how to apply the GM. I certainly wouldn't boil or ferment with it as it would drive off the delicate volatiles in the liqueur.

Add at racking time IMO.

And I don't care for that recipe either. Looks like a terrible beer actually. But then again I'm not a fan of brewing huge beers like that; seems like most homebrewers go through a phase where they brew ridiculously strong beers- just because they can... ;)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:12:31 pm »
How about saison aged on grand marnier soaked oak? Or witbier, maybe without the oak.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:06 pm »
How about saison aged on grand marnier soaked oak? Or witbier, maybe without the oak.

Best ideas yet IMO.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:17 pm »
I'm thinking of aging my next English Barleywine with calvados soaked oak.
I know a lot of people like it but I think GM tastes like orange flavored gasoline. I think Pavan is a much nicer orange liquor. 
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klb9876

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »
I think a grand cru would be nice, it might support the alcohol and sweetness a bit better than a wit.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:39:44 am »
A buddy of mine at our LHBS brewed a sweet stout with GM soaked oak cubes and added the liquor as well back to the keg at packaging.  It was pretty good and reminiscent of orange chocolate candy.  Just an idea.

Offline Fairyty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 01:16:35 am »
The perfect blend of French Cognac and bitter orange liqueur is the best. love sipping on Grand Marnier after a long day of work, this eases your body. Grand Marnier works very well with Dr pepper if you like to mix if not goes fine. if you want to appreciate the complex flavors of Grand Marnier try with no ice. it's my Absolute favorite liquor it's very smooth and flavorsome.  grand Marnier price Walmart is also very reasonable, basic Grand Marnier 375 ml bottle costs you around $2.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 10:27:12 am »
Interesting this old thread was brought up. I’ve been developing a Weinacht Bier recipe to brew this year based on a 2x Bock with Amarillo and Bavaria Mandarina hops.

I was thinking about serving with an orange wedge and squeezing it into the beer if desired as well as soak a cinnamon stick and ginger slices in orange vodka or Grand Marnier for 24 hours, strain, and add to taste to the finished beer one glass at a time.

That way the beer could be served four different ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk