Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ambient temperature for primary fermenter  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
Ambient temperature for primary fermenter
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:38:35 am »
How warm is too warm for the ambient temperature for the primary fermenter?  I'm using Safale US-05 yeast.  The ambient temperature reads 77 (F).
Hopspringseternal

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Ambient temperature for primary fermenter
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 08:46:54 am »
The act of fermentation creates heat within the wort. Upwards of 10 degrees or more. Safale says the ideal fermentation temperature for US-05 is 64 to 82 degrees F. So if my ambient was 77 I would find a way to bring the temperature of your fermenter down. Something like a swamp cooler is probably the simplest and least expensive option.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:25 am »
How warm is too warm for the ambient temperature for the primary fermenter?  I'm using Safale US-05 yeast.  The ambient temperature reads 77 (F).

That's too warm...way too warm.  You want beer temp to be in low-mid 60s ideally, so the ambient would need to be 5-10F cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 08:15:47 pm »
Thanks, Denny and Kevin.  I've been keeping a towel, saturated with water, wrapped around the primary with a small box fan blowing on it.  I've added water to the towel about three times a day to keep it wet and the temp has dropped to between 67 and 70.  That's still not where I'd like it to be.  Since I only have a crawlspace to store my beer in during fermentation, I'm guessing that I'll need to confine my brewing to three seasons out of the year--i.e., not in the summer. 
Hopspringseternal

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 05:08:36 am »
Consider making a simple box out of foam insulation and using frozen water bottles for cooling.  You can achieve cooler temperatures pretty easily just by swapping out the frozen bottles.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 06:55:12 am »
Consider making a simple box out of foam insulation and using frozen water bottles for cooling.

I've been thinking about this type of setup A LOT in the past few weeks. Maybe a "swamp cooler" setup using an igloo cooler to put ice in. It would be super swell to have an output hose blowing swamp cooled air into an insulated box.

I'm using a wet shirt over my bucket right now with a fan blowing on it. It does keep temps lower than ambient, but that's only until the shirt dries out. It needs constant attention. Still better than nothing, but it's begging for improvement.

UPDATE: Added a 30GPH aquarium pump and a couple feet of 1/4" poly tubing to keep the shirt wet 👍
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:19:29 am by Joe_Beer »

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 11:19:54 am »
What a great idea!  An insulated box, large enough for my 6.5 gallon primary, with enough room for some frozen water bottles.  I'll explore that construction project and, hopefully, with this new resource I'll be able to continue to brew in the summer.  "Why not brew some," indeed!
Hopspringseternal

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 09:32:22 am »
A bathtub that won't be used for a couple weeks always works.  The water absorbs a lot of the heat and adding ice or frozen water bottles to bring the temp down will stabilize the beer temp
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 09:33:41 am »
A bathtub that won't be used for a couple weeks always works.  The water absorbs a lot of the heat and adding ice or frozen water bottles to bring the temp down will stabilize the beer temp

I did something like that for years, although using a large plastic muck bucket in a closet rather than a bath tub.  Works really well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 10:05:06 am »
I still do the swamp cooler thing from time to time for ales in the summer when my basement is running hot. My fermentation keg fits neatly inside a 6.5 gallon brew bucket It's enough to keep the temperature from spiking during peak fermentation,  then I pull the fermenter out to let the beer finish after 3 or 4 days.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 05:48:18 pm »
I appreciate all these great ideas. Looks like the simplest option would probably be a large plastic trash can filled with ice/ice water. But I'm also considering building a simple, insulated box (30" tall and 19" wide), with 1" polystyrene foam boards with foil backing. I thought I'd make a lid out of the same and then glue some bead board onto the foam board for the base (the bead board is to keep the fermenter bucket from denting into the insulation).  If I place four 2-liter plastic pop filled with frozen water in the corners of the box I'm hoping it will keep the temp in the low to mid 60s even when my crawlspace is in the mid to high 70s.  What do you think?
Hopspringseternal

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 07:05:12 pm »
Four frozen bottles will very likely get you to lager fermentation temperature.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 08:07:35 am »
Okay, thanks. I'll check the temperature for my ales frequently until I get this thing figured-out. With a primitive "ice box," like I'm building I guess I can adjust the temperature by removing frozen pop bottles as needed. But I hope you're right. I'd like to try brewing some lagers sometime!
Hopspringseternal

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 10:19:46 am »
Thanks, Denny and Kevin.  I've been keeping a towel, saturated with water, wrapped around the primary with a small box fan blowing on it.  I've added water to the towel about three times a day to keep it wet and the temp has dropped to between 67 and 70.  That's still not where I'd like it to be.  Since I only have a crawlspace to store my beer in during fermentation, I'm guessing that I'll need to confine my brewing to three seasons out of the year--i.e., not in the summer.

you can also look into yeasts that perform better at higher temps

Fire Rooster

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 03:06:47 pm »

you can also look into yeasts that perform better at higher temps

Agreed, selecting a yeast for the environment,
 is easier than changing the environment for the yeast.