Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Transferred during Growth phase  (Read 1028 times)

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
Transferred during Growth phase
« on: August 09, 2020, 08:56:49 am »
Brewed a RIS that literally blew the top off the primary during Growth phase (less than 12 hours since pitch), so I panicked and poured it into a different vessel with with more headspace.

Aside from oxidation and increased risk of infection, should I expect any other off flavors or issues?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Transferred during Growth phase
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 09:06:46 am »
Brewed a RIS that literally blew the top off the primary during Growth phase (less than 12 hours since pitch), so I panicked and poured it into a different vessel with with more headspace.

Aside from oxidation and increased risk of infection, should I expect any other off flavors or issues?

I don't think either of those are big concerns. An active fermentation is generally protective against oxidation, and the yeast will generally outcompete any potential contaminating organisms during this phase as well. You might actually see improved performance. I often add a second dose of oxygen at 12-18 hours post-pitching on a high-gravity beer (such as a RIS) to help yeast growth, and pouring to a new vessel will likely pull in some extra O2 in a similar way.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:15:11 am »
Add me to the no problem vote.

I believe during active fermentation the yeast will consume the potential O2 you picked up thru this transfer.

Hand crafted in the TN Valley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 09:27:15 am »
As Brewbama has said, you will be OK.  I brewed a RIS last Sunday and  always put a blowoff tube in my 7.5 gallon conical fermenter  I had a headspace of 2 gallons and the beer still blew some yeast through the blowoff.  i am used to this with a big beer so I take steps to avoid the mess.

If you are using a blowoff in a bucket or a carboy, make sure you put the blowoff jar in a bucket since you will probably fill the jar with yeast and beer, depending on its size.  I had a mess once before I got the conical and learned the hard way.  Also, make sure to check the blowoff tube from time to time since it could become plugged with the krausen and pop out the stopper/blowoff tube from the fermenter.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 04:53:32 pm »
Google the “double drop” system because it will put your fears to rest.

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 12:17:34 pm »

Also, make sure to check the blowoff tube from time to time since it could become plugged with the krausen and pop out the stopper/blowoff tube from the fermenter.

I think this is what happened this time...

I figured the old adage remained true, so I figured I'd relax and let the ferment ride out. The oxygen must've helped because the second 12 hours was just as rigorous as the first 12. Thanks everyone.

Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 06:05:21 pm »
I figured the old adage remained true, so I figured I'd relax and let the ferment ride out. The oxygen must've helped because the second 12 hours was just as rigorous as the first 12. Thanks everyone.

That is why select British breweries employed (some continue to employ) the double-drop system.  Some yeast strains need a hit of oxygen 12 to 24 hours into fermentation.  A big beer like an RIS would definitely benefit for double-drop. Double-drop also clears the beer from trub and dead yeast cells.  You may have to worry about diacetyl, but diacetyl works in a big stout.  Strain from Northern England are so O2 hungry that the wort needs to sprayed down on the fermentation vessel while it is actively fermenting in order to complete fermentation.