Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 questions about racking onto yeast cake  (Read 900 times)

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
2 questions about racking onto yeast cake
« on: July 14, 2020, 02:41:35 pm »
I have never done this before, however considering.   Brewed a Marzen and will be racking it off to a secondary.   The beer is being fermented in a 5 gallon glass carboy.   My next beer will be a Doppelbock

- Would it be best to siphon off as much beer (& trub) as possible, and then rack the fresh new wort on top the existing yeast cake (& any residual)

- After siphoning how long could I safely keep the yeast cake as is, before adding the new wort?   Eg 3 days, 5 days more?

Thanks for the advice.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: 2 questions about racking onto yeast cake
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 03:40:27 pm »
The beer is protective for the yeast. When I do this I rack the old beer off right before racking the new beer on the cake. If I can't do it the same day, I usually transfer the yeast to a few mason jars (with a small amount of the beer) and keep them in the fridge until I can use them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 08:51:54 am »
When I do this I plan my brews so that brew #2 is ready to go on the yeast the very same day that brew #1 is being kegged. If there is going to be any delay of a day or more I collect the yeast cake in a quart mason jar and store it in the refrigerator. I have kept jars for three or more weeks like this before using with no problems.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:35 am »
When you do this do you worry about the ring of Brown hop matter stuck to the side of the fermenter? Batch two will naturally submerge that stuff and I hear it is pretty bitter. No negative side effects?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:23:20 am »
When you do this do you worry about the ring of Brown hop matter stuck to the side of the fermenter? Batch two will naturally submerge that stuff and I hear it is pretty bitter. No negative side effects?

Not that I've experienced
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell