Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New silica fining agent?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New silica fining agent?
« on: July 15, 2020, 03:32:46 pm »
Anyone tried this new fining agent?  Wondering about results...it appears similar to other silica based fining products, but it seems new to homebrewing.  Or maybe I am just late to the dance on this one:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-silafine-placeholder.html

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: New silica fining agent?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 05:45:48 pm »
No experience but it looks great! I would love to see (or do) an experiment comparing gelatin to SilaFine for efficacy and whether the cost is worth it. I don't care but it's nice to know there's a non animal based option

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 05:57:07 pm »
I saw it today. Great option for vegans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 05:36:54 am »
Will be adding the 1 ouncer to my MoreBeer order to try it in a couple of batches. The quart size will do 64 five gallon batches. $17 for 64 batches is pretty reasonable, not to mention you can just put a TBSP full in a keg and rack onto it. Much less hassle than gelatin.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 06:23:00 am »
Will be adding the 1 ouncer to my MoreBeer order to try it in a couple of batches. The quart size will do 64 five gallon batches. $17 for 64 batches is pretty reasonable, not to mention you can just put a TBSP full in a keg and rack onto it. Much less hassle than gelatin.
I was considering it for this specific reason - it seems a lot easier to use than gelatin. Hopefully it gives similar results.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 07:48:52 am »
The description reminds me a bit of some of the colloidal silicon dioxide clarifiers like Biofine where the first application requires some amount of agitation and then a second application may be necessary.  I will be checking this thread to see if anyone has an update on it.  I'm always looking for clear beer but I have to admit that gel solution works for me with one application.

I mentioned in another thread that I purge kegs (after cleaning and sanitizing) with CO2 from fermentation.  The fermenter is connected to the keg with tubing and QDs.  I wonder if on brewday I could drop a tbsp of this stuff into the keg and then transfer on top when fermentation was complete.  But... at that point the beer would not be below the suggested 39°.   ???
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 07:55:10 am »

I'm assuming this would have to be onto cold-crashed beer, right?

From MoreBeer:
SilaFine will work to drop out yeast at fermentation temperatures, but for full effectiveness on haze-inducing particles, we recommend adding it to beer that has been chilled below 39°F.

So if one doesn't cold crash (I don't), one could either a) add it to the warm beer while racking into a keg and then chill, or b) rack beer into keg, chill, open the keg and then add it.

I guess.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 08:40:10 am »

I'm assuming this would have to be onto cold-crashed beer, right?

From MoreBeer:
SilaFine will work to drop out yeast at fermentation temperatures, but for full effectiveness on haze-inducing particles, we recommend adding it to beer that has been chilled below 39°F.

So if one doesn't cold crash (I don't), one could either a) add it to the warm beer while racking into a keg and then chill, or b) rack beer into keg, chill, open the keg and then add it.

I guess.
I was thinking the same thing.  I do not crash until the beer is in the keg.  Adding it to room-temp (ish) beer would probably have some benefit but I know that a gel solution REALLY does a nice job when it's added to cold beer.  I will chill the keg, add the gel solution and walk away.  No agitation, no second application, etc.  Yes, you have to prepare the gel but I'm used to that.  Still, if someone tries this and has a rave review, I will listen.  It's clear beer after all.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 10:42:54 am »
It says that it drops out yeast. Does it take out so much that you can't bottle condition? Gelatine will not interfere with bottle conditioning.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 10:46:34 am »
I see a lot of speculation.  Why not just contact the manufacturers and ask them these questions?  Too easy?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 10:13:40 am »
I see a lot of speculation.  Why not just contact the manufacturers and ask them these questions?  Too easy?

Definitely not too easy. This product is purchased in bulk and repackaged by MoreBeer, so they are not the manufacturer. No idea who makes it. I tried to get through to  MoreBeer on the phone but gave up after spending way too much time on hold. I sent an email and was told someone would get back to me "soon". After a week with no response I gave up and settled in for a long phone wait. I finally got through to someone who said that it would leave enough yeast for bottle conditioning. I will find out if he's right in a couple of months when I make a beer that my vegan niece can drink and use this instead of gelatine.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:17:38 am by Richard »
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 10:38:24 am »

Definitely not too easy. This product is purchased in bulk and repackaged by MoreBeer, so they are not the manufacturer. No idea who makes it. I tried to get through to  MoreBeer on the phone but gave up after spending way too much time on hold. I sent an email and was told someone would get back to me "soon". After a week with no response I gave up and settled in for a long phone wait. I finally got through to someone who said that it would leave enough yeast for bottle conditioning. I will find out if he's right in a couple of months when I make a beer that my vegan niece can drink and use this instead of gelatine.

Thanks for trying!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell