Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxidation Ruining Beer??  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Matthew Parcher

• 1st Kit
Oxidation Ruining Beer??
« on: July 22, 2020, 01:33:08 pm »
I've heard for a long time that oxidation can ruin a good beer, but here is the thing:

Everytime I put a beer into secondary, I have to carry a (very heavy) carboy from the back of my house to the garage. The beer always sloshes around a bit. When I use my auto siphon to rack to the secondary carboy it seems I always have some air/bubbles in the line (sometimes more than a few). I'm just curious: If this isn't enough to ruin my beer, what would it take?

I've never tasted any off flavors (cardboard, papery, sherry-like), so I'm curious. Maybe I just don't recognize the off flavors? Sometimes the amount of sloshing I do makes me a little nervous, but I've never experienced these issues that I know of!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:39:57 pm by Matthew Parcher »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oxidation Ruining Beer??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:51:17 pm »
Oxidation often doesn't take the form of the traditional descriptions.  My personal method is to do what I can to avoid it and then not worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 01:56:06 pm »
Another requirement to reveal any potential damage by introduction of O2 is time. If you are consuming the beer quickly after a potential O2 event you won’t realize the possible damage.

Many have forgone the secondary for the reason you give about potential O2 pickup. I rarely transfer a beer from primary to secondary. Instead, I package straight from the fermenter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 03:07:38 pm »
Some of the first signs of oxidation are the loss of bright, clean flavors and the development of duller flavors as well as darkening of the beer color.  Loss of hop aroma is another indicator.  Keeping the beer cold helps to delay this.  Like Denny BrewBama say, do what you can to avoid it and drink the beer fresh.  That's what I do.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Matthew Parcher

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 06:17:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies. This is all helpful.

Cheers!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:27:23 pm »
Sloshing around in your closed fermenter should not introduce any oxidation. The headspace should be oxygen-free.

The place to worry about oxygen is during the transfer. If you happen to have a CO2 tank and can feed it into the closed top of the fermenter while you draw off the beer, the beer would avoid that source.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 07:24:43 am »
Another requirement to reveal any potential damage by introduction of O2 is time. If you are consuming the beer quickly after a potential O2 event you won’t realize the possible damage.

Many have forgone the secondary for the reason you give about potential O2 pickup. I rarely transfer a beer from primary to secondary. Instead, I package straight from the fermenter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually do what Brewbama does.  However, with many highly dry hopped beers it is a real PITA to keg from my conical since the in-line screen keeps plugging up with hops.  For that reason, I am reluctantly going back to a secondary (i.e. brite tank/carboy) for dry hopping and packaging kind of like what Denny suggested in another thread that I started.  I religiously purge the carboy with CO2 before transferring and take great care when filling them to avoid any splashing.  That is the best I can do and it has always worked for me before.  I never really get notice hints of oxidation in the beers that I package this way even after a month or two.
I have given some thought to using a hop bag for dry hopping in the conical to prevent clogging my inline screen. But I don't really want to open the fermenter to add the hop bag to avoid any possible contamination issues.

All my other beers are kegged directly from the conical after "burping" the yeast out of the dump port on the bottom.

Just my .02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 08:07:36 am »
Some of the first signs of oxidation are the loss of bright, clean flavors and the development of duller flavors as well as darkening of the beer color.  Loss of hop aroma is another indicator.  Keeping the beer cold helps to delay this.  Like Denny BrewBama say, do what you can to avoid it and drink the beer fresh.  That's what I do.

This ^^^^^^

Once you recognize the early signs you will find them often. This why the best beer is often at the brewery, can't get fresher than that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!