Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Public service announcement that will probably make most of you say DUH!  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
I was troubleshooting a slight funk in my beers.  Kegs, flasks, tubing, fermenters, QDs, spigots, etc.  Turned out to be my draft lines.  I sent some 130° EasyClean solution through them last night followed by some Starsan and a beer that was tasting mildly funky yesterday is exactly as it should be today.  Clearly my fault and I need to own it.  I have experienced this but not quite as pronounced as this time.  Another clue was that one of my 4 faucets (pesky #2) was pouring quite lively... quite a bit of foam.  Once the cleaning and sanitizing took place... much better.  Clean your draft lines Beerheads.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Cheers!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Glad you found the culprit. I have foamy taps too. It’s easy to ignore. I better get cleaning.

Offline Iliff Ave

Good call. I admittedly don’t do it enough.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
Glad you found the culprit. I have foamy taps too. It’s easy to ignore. I better get cleaning.
I started using this Bev-Seal Ultra beer line... it's really stiff and hard (whoa, that sounds dirty) and not soft like the old-school beer line.  I thought this stuff was less likely to have this issue but that is not an excuse.  Beer lines need to be cleaned just like all the rest of the equipment but it's one the easy things to miss or ignore.  I have been boiling silicone tubing, pouring boiling water into my kegs and flasks, etc. thinking I had a bug.  I did... it was in my beer lines. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
We always look at our brewday equipment for things to clean and sanitize.  As mentioned, the draft lines are so easy to miss.  I think I'll place some kind of schedule in my beer bunker (where my draft fridges are located) and just put the latest date that the draft lines were cleaned on there.  Every time I walk into the bunker I'll see it and then rub my chin... should I clean my draft lines?  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline ynotbrusum

An easy fix, for sure.  I guess I know what I am doing this weekend!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
I am due for a cleaning as well.  I am going to order some of the EVA barrier tubing andss connectors to replace my lines.  I can get away with shorter lines and they might be a lot easier to take care of.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
I am due for a cleaning as well.  I am going to order some of the EVA barrier tubing andss connectors to replace my lines.  I can get away with shorter lines and they might be a lot easier to take care of.
The Bev-Seal Ultra lines are tricky to work with but they do pour nicely.  I used the John Guest fittings to put everything together.  I also 'coiled' the lines and used zip-ties to keep them that way to make the inside of the fridge more manageable.

I forget what forum it was but someone mentioned having some 'funky' beers and was looking for the issue.  This was just in the last month or so.  Someone suggested he clean his draft lines and eventually he came back and was like "all better!" and I was surprised.  I don't know that I have ever seen it this pronounced as it was in my case and I wonder if it was a beer that started off 'slightly funky' and left some schputz behind in the beer lines that caused issues for subsequent beers or if it's just a "buildup" issue.  Again, I shouldn't be surprised and I can't claim ignorance.  Cleaning is not the glamorous part of brewing but it must be done.   
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
I've had this happen too.  More than once I've pulled a pint and thought "what happened to this beer? It was great a week ago."  Took me a while to get around to cleaning the lines but once I did it, it was night and day. 

Anymore, my 4 taps all seem to kick about the same time so I clean the lines before I replace the kegs.  Seems to keep it under control for me.

Like Billy Joel said "what I didn't know at first, I learned by doing twice".   :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
A very good reason to clean your lines and faucets every 2 or 3 weeks. I also follow up with an acid rinse and disassemble the faucets for a deep clean every 3 months or so. Regardless of what draft line you use, the system does need to be cleaned periodically.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I still use cobra taps.  I guess an advantage of that is that it's easy for me to tear down my entire dispense system every time a keg empties.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
I have been to places with 200+ taps.  I can only imagine what it must be like to have to clean that.  I'll keep that in mind the next time I have to clean my tiny 4 tap system.  :D 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster

Most brewers dont, myself included. Its on my list to do this afternoon.

Online BrewBama

I just eliminated the lines. I installed flow control taps right onto the QD via an adapter. Removal, disassembly, cleaning, assembly, and reinstallation is a pleasure for an old aircraft mechanic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk