Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PSA: Please retire your glass carboys!  (Read 4819 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Re: PSA: Please retire your glass carboys!
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 03:59:55 pm »
Wow I actually just purchased my first large fermenters and this makes me regret it, I have a batch going in a 6.5gal fermenter I am going to be extremely careful draining and probably get rid of them. What's the next best option to not interoffice any off flavors plastic and metal scares me for my cider.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 09:16:12 pm »
I'm still using the same bucket I bought for my first beer eleven years ago with no plastic off flavors and I have HDPE carboys nearly the same age and same thing. Unless you abuse plastic with inappropriate chemicals or melt them you shouldn't have off flavors. An enormous amount of food is transported and sold in HDPE containers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2020, 08:20:27 am »
Wow I actually just purchased my first large fermenters and this makes me regret it, I have a batch going in a 6.5gal fermenter I am going to be extremely careful draining and probably get rid of them. What's the next best option to not interoffice any off flavors plastic and metal scares me for my cider.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

I've used plastic for many batches of cider....no problem.  I've also used SS.  Why does metal scare you?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2020, 08:22:00 am »
True. But food containers are not meant for indefinite use. All materials break down And leach over time from use, UV, etc. IMO taste is probably not a good test to determine condition.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2020, 10:12:19 pm »
Glad that you're okay OP. Lessons learned are valuable. I've dropped panes of glass and had them shatter. Wife screaming at me for hours was worse than my finger cuts.

i agree glass is dangerous and out dated, the selection of ss buckets and other plastic fermenters out there provide us much better options but if you are gonna use a glass carboy use a milk crate with it, dont handle esp full carboys with your bare hands duder, its only a matter of time, sorry you got hurt dude

Good addition. I think I'm going to set up some protective stuff for them now. I'm tired of worrying about them while carrying.

Anyone? I have not had good experiences with plastic carboys. I just perceived that the beer was staler. Any opinions? That's why I've always gone with glass.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2020, 07:52:41 am »
Glad that you're okay OP. Lessons learned are valuable. I've dropped panes of glass and had them shatter. Wife screaming at me for hours was worse than my finger cuts.

i agree glass is dangerous and out dated, the selection of ss buckets and other plastic fermenters out there provide us much better options but if you are gonna use a glass carboy use a milk crate with it, dont handle esp full carboys with your bare hands duder, its only a matter of time, sorry you got hurt dude

Good addition. I think I'm going to set up some protective stuff for them now. I'm tired of worrying about them while carrying.

Anyone? I have not had good experiences with plastic carboys. I just perceived that the beer was staler. Any opinions? That's why I've always gone with glass.

I think it's equally likely it's confirmation bias, unless you tested it with a split batch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2020, 08:50:10 am »
I knew from the beginning that I'm too big of a clutz to be trusted with glass.

^^^^^^ Me Too! 
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2020, 02:54:30 pm »

I think it's equally likely it's confirmation bias, unless you tested it with a split batch.

I remember now, I used PET carboy style containers about 21litres in size that were designed to be used to store fruit liqueurs. Could have been confirmation bias, but I had one or two glass ones and one or two of these PET plastic ones. I think I will buy a branded better bottle one and give it a shot again. Tired of carrying heavy glass anyway.