Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitch new yeast or dump and start over  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Ortonryan

• 1st Kit
Pitch new yeast or dump and start over
« on: August 01, 2020, 04:32:37 am »
Hey all. First time posting and relatively new brewer here. I brewed an IPA yesterday and planned to use Omega’s Hornindal to ferment. I’ve never used liquid yeast (or any Kveik)before. I thought I did everything right, kept everything sanitary, aerated the wort well, kept temps fairly high (79) and consistent. But 10 hours later and there’s absolutely no activity. I was worried about the vitality as I live in an area with no LHBS and have order online. I had actually gotten a second type of yeast (Imperial Flagship) and it has exploded enroute. That brings me to my question. The replacement imperial is due to arrive this afternoon. Do I pitch that and try to save this beer or count it as a loss and start over? Re-oxygenate the wort? Thanks for any help you can give me! I’m excited to move into liquid yeast and saving cultures but this first experience makes me want to go back to US-05!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pitch new yeast or dump and start over
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:20:53 am »
The situation you describe is the reason I went to dry yeast exclusively a few years ago. No reliable local store and DOA mail order yeast.

Having said that, isn’t this yeast supposed to be super fast?  Have you taken a hydrometer reading?  Maybe it’s finished or still finishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:33:40 am »
Don't dump, just be patient. Having never used this yeast strain, IDK, but typically the little varmints need more than 10 hours to show signs of activity. I've always been happy with Omega yeasts. Leave it alone and it will likely take off.

I too have no LHBS, and getting liquid yeast in good shape during the summer months is iffy at best. I always keep a few extra sachets of dry yeast around just for these situations. Cheap insurance.

In any event, RDWHAHB !!
Roger

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:07:46 am »
I agree with BrewBama and also switched to using dry yeasts almost exclusively for the same reason. You can harvest/save slurry from the fermenter when dry yeasts were pitched too. It makes no difference whether the origin was liquid or dry.

As for your current problem. Even though Kveik yeasts can be fermented at higher temperatures, they can still be compromised or killed if they get too hot. Airlock activity isn't a good indicator of fermentation. If you're fermenting in a bucket, be aware that the lids don't always seal well and you may not get any any bubbling even if the beer is fermenting. If you are using a bucket, wait until the new yeast arrives and then open the lid just enough to see if there's any Krausen (foam) on top or scum around the sides of the bucket just above the liquid level. Either will tell you that the beer is fermented or has finished actively fermenting. If you see neither, pitch the replacement yeast. Hopefully, you ordered ice packs with it and it's not hot when you receive it.

If you see foam or scum, check the gravity to see if it's close to expectations. If it is, wait at least 48 hours and check again. If it remains the same, fermentation is complete. Gove it another week and then proceed to packaging your beer.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 12:54:51 pm »
The situation you describe is the reason I went to dry yeast exclusively a few years ago. No reliable local store and DOA mail order yeast.

Not having a reliable liquid yeast supplier in my stated when I started to brew is the reason why I started to plate and bank my own yeast.  I would rather not think about the quality of dry yeast at that point.  It is the reason why the homebrewing community suffered an anti-dry yeast hangover for so long.