Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clouds In My Coffee  (Read 2341 times)

Fire Rooster

Clouds In My Coffee
« on: July 24, 2020, 07:28:59 am »
Ok my beer, not coffee.
Bottled a batch yesterday using BRY-97 for the first time.
It was a haze monster.  Haziest beer I've ever made.
Was this BRY-97 ?, or something else ?
I don't mind hazy beer, want to understand where it came from.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:37:08 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Clouds In My Coffee
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 08:28:04 am »
I use BRY-97 fairly often and have always found it to produce clear beers given a reasonable amount of time. If you want anything other than blind speculation as to the cause, you'll need to post the recipe and your process.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:39:07 am »
I also don't have cloudiness issues with BRY97
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:45:44 am »
I use BRY-97 fairly often and have always found it to produce clear beers given a reasonable amount of time. If you want anything other than blind speculation as to the cause, you'll need to post the recipe and your process.

Process is exactly the same for all batches done prior.  Variables noted below.

BRY-97 (Never used before)
3 week ferment @65 degrees.

80% Vienna
20% White Wheat

90 Minute Mash (first time doing 90 minutes)
60 Minute Boil

Centennial-Whole (9.5) (Never used before)
Amarillo-Pellet (7.7) (Never used before)
Simcoe-Pellet (12.7) (Never used before)

60 min = .5 oz Centennial
45 min = .5 oz Centennial
30 min = .5 Amarillo
20 min = .5 Simcoe
Flame-out = .5 each Amarillo, Simcoe

During bottling yesterday a heavy haze was noticed.

"given a reasonable amount of time"
Perhaps after 3 weeks bottle carb/condition it will settle out ?
My current guess, yeast is in suspension, did not pack down well in fermenter.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 09:27:22 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 10:32:11 am »
I would bet it will settle out in the bottles...did you cold-crash the beer prior to bottling?
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline ulander6206

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 11:47:32 am »
Not sure what a haze monster is, however wheat malt will produce some haze.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Clouds In My Coffee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:53:55 am »
I use Bry-97 ~90% of the time. I guess you could say it’s my house strain.

When I keg the beer is never clear.

A few things I think help the clarity: 1) floating dip tube. As the beer clears from top to bottom I can begin drinking clear beer while the entire volume closer to the bottom might not be clear yet. The one keg that I have without a floating dip tube takes longer to get a clear pint. This will be N/A for bottling. 2) pH. I find that if I hit ~5.4 room temp pH in a sample taken at 20 min I get brilliantly clearer beer than if I miss the mark. 3) time. It does take a few weeks to get the brilliantly clear beer but it hasn’t failed to clear for me yet.

Your recipe looks great to me. I mash 90 min and boil 60 as well. 20% wheat might cause it to be hazy as well. I rarely (if ever) use wheat malt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:57:02 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »

A few things I think help the clarity: 1) floating dip tube. As the beer clears from top to bottom I can begin drinking clear beer while the entire volume closer to the bottom might not be clear yet. The one keg that I have without a floating dip tube takes longer to get a clear pint. This will be N/A for bottling. 2) pH. I find that if I hit ~5.4 room temp pH in a sample taken at 20 min I get brilliantly clearer beer than if I miss the mark. 3) time. It does take a few weeks to get the brilliantly clear beer but it hasn’t failed to clear for me yet.

Your recipe looks great to me. I mash 90 min and boil 60 as well. 20% wheat might cause it to be hazy as well. I rarely (if ever) use wheat malt.

Guess as soon as I get through this batch of slurries I'll have to make a BRY batch to see if I remembered correctly or not

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 12:18:52 pm »
I would bet it will settle out in the bottles...did you cold-crash the beer prior to bottling?
No, I bottle at basement temps, right now 64

Fire Rooster

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 12:19:35 pm »
Not sure what a haze monster is, however wheat malt will produce some haze.

It's hiding under your bed and waiting for you to fall asleep.
One batch was 50% white wheat, and nowhere near as hazy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 12:47:36 pm by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 12:21:45 pm »

I like white white, not red, but I agree 20% is too much, subdues the vienna too much. Reducing to 10% next 2 batches.
90% Vienna, 10% white wheat, one batch all simcoe hops, another with all armarillo hops.
I did a 100% vienna and loved it.  It had a slight bite ? to it, white wheat seems to do the trick.
I tried red wheat in a few batches at different percentages, and didn't care for it at all.
White wheat to me, seems to soften the edges ? but adding a mild taste, unlike red wheat which is harsh to me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:02:40 pm by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 08:15:24 am »

You were correct, haze substantially subsided, beer is getting clear.
You can see a layer on the bottom of the bottles.
This morning bottled a second batch using BRY-97.
Same thing, very murky from what I'm use to seeing when bottling.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 08:30:55 am by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 08:19:14 am »

Of all the yeasts to choose from, why do you mostly use BRY-97 ?

Thanks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 08:36:32 am »
I like Bry-97 because it has a neutral flavor letting the hops and malt shine, it takes a week to ferment my avg 1.056-ish beers which fits my pipeline, it finished the job taking me to the 1.010 neighborhood consistently, and it’s clears very bright.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 09:23:49 am »
I like Bry-97 because it has a neutral flavor letting the hops and malt shine, it takes a week to ferment my avg 1.056-ish beers which fits my pipeline, it finished the job taking me to the 1.010 neighborhood consistently, and it’s clears very bright.

Exactly.  I far prefer it to US05

www.dennybrew.com