Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate  (Read 1430 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate
« on: July 28, 2020, 12:01:41 pm »
So I have been researching different ways to add cherry flavor to cider and I came across tart cherry juice concentrate, which is both sold as a food/ingredient and as a nutritional supplement.

I am curious if anyone has used this ingredient in beer. My thinking is that it could be added to the keg and would add cherry flavor and a little sweetness. I read that the stuff is generally around 1.050 - 1.055 reconstituted (1 fl oz concentrate to 7 oz water). That would presumably mean adding a pint of the stuff would add around .01 - .011 to the SG of a full keg. That wouldn't really be too much if added to a really dry porter or stout, or even a blond ale or something. Obviously the beer wouldn't be stable at room temperature, but if it was kept cold or otherwise stabilized, it could be used fairly easily.

Has anyone done this? A google search shows me lots of "tart cherry" or "montmercy cherry" beers out there, but I was wondering if any experienced homebrewers could shed light. My current plan is to split a 32 oz bottle of the stuff between a keg of dry cider and a keg of porter or blond ale.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:40:25 pm by skyler »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 01:03:36 pm »
I've done it for mead to boost the flavor.

Montmorrency is a little one dimensional to me. I like Balaton, but the yield is low so it is hard to find.

Gotten stuff from King's up north. They have Balaton in 5 gallon pails, $305. A little spendy for me.

https://www.kingorchards.com/shop/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 06:12:41 pm »
I have also wanted to try doing this but I have not. One thing that I would be conscious of is that the juice may contain potassium sorbate which inhibits fermentation. I have seen this as an ingredient in shelf stable products. Fresh pressed and then frozen probably doesn't have any added so I would look in that direction.

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 04:56:51 am »
I added it to a Flanders Red from a tart cherry wine base, using a Solera method.  Very pleasant result.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 09:30:48 am »
I have also wanted to try doing this but I have not. One thing that I would be conscious of is that the juice may contain potassium sorbate which inhibits fermentation. I have seen this as an ingredient in shelf stable products. Fresh pressed and then frozen probably doesn't have any added so I would look in that direction.

Most of the stuff I have seen is just pure concentrated juice, but I wouldn't actually mind the potassium sorbate, as I am adding it post-fermentation for flavor and am not bottle conditioning or anything. I had been thinking of putting a whole quart-sized bottle in my cider, but I understand the standard amount is half that, so I am thinking of brewing up a blond ale or wheat beer (or maybe a porter?). I am curious how tart it is and how sweet it is unfermented, when added to a keg. If it is too tart, a porter is probably out, but that might be nice in a malt-balanced blond ale.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 06:50:34 am »
I don't want to highjack this thread but have a question. I have a chokecherry tree which is a type of tart cherry, can I use some juice in a Saison? Any one have any experience with this and if so how was it used? On another note tart cherries and juice are good for gout, good to know for fans of beer and beef. If you use the juice you may need to water it down, it will definitely make your mouth pucker. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:01:17 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln