Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PSA: Please retire your glass carboys!  (Read 4818 times)

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
PSA: Please retire your glass carboys!
« on: July 29, 2020, 08:52:10 am »
I've been brewing for about 12 years. I was poor and I scrounged a lot of my early brewing stuff from yard sales and the like. I was so excited when I found a couple of beautiful glass carboys! Finally, I could SEE what was going on in my little science experiments! Over the years I've picked up more from moving friends and fellow brewers. I usually primary in my wonderful Spiedels but for long term aging I use glass. I saw some of the gruesome and horrific broken glass carboy threads pretty early on, but I ignored these cautionary tales. They did make me careful, and for 12 years I've been lucky.

Last night, that luck ended. I was dumping cleaning solution from a 5 gal carboy when it shattered. No idea if I bumped the sidewall or if it just gave out.  The pressure of the water rushing out of this busted glass balloon gave the shards a little extra velocity and I was instantly soaked and bleeding from my right (dominant) hand. I immediately went into first aid mode, grabbed a towel, made a fist around it, and raised it over my head. Not my first rodeo. I was able to find gauze, vet wrap, and alcohol and went to bandage it up. First look as I got it under running water? This isn't good, but it's not nearly as bad as it could be. Got it wrapped up, finally sat down with my hand over my head. Gotta call my wonderful and long-suffering wife. ”I'm OK." "WTF did you do now?" 20 years, she knows me well

16 stitches and a case of the dumbass later, I'm asking you to retire your glass carboys. I know, it won't happen to you because you're careful. Like riding a motorcycle, an accident is not a matter of if but when. I was incredibly lucky it wasn't worse. We have sooooo many options available now that we've never had as homebrewers before. Stainless buckets & conicals, loads of better plastic options. When I started this adventure glass was an awesome upgrade from my plastic buckets. But a plastic bucket never gave me stitches. Let em go folks, it's time!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
PSA: Please retire your glass carboys!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 09:09:13 am »
I’m certainly glad your wounds are survivable.

There’s an old saying in the BBQ world: there are two kinds of wooden smoke houses 1) the ones that burnt down and 2) the ones that are going to burn down.

Please, get rid of your glass fermenters! They can kill you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: PSA: Please retire your glass carboys!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 09:10:07 am »
I stopped using them at least 15 years ago.  I broke 3 but not with the results you got.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:31:47 am »
Pretty sure that most of the home brewers still using them either don't read much in any of the brewing forums or just think they're bullet proof. Warnings like yours have been circulation for quite a number of years. Glad to hear your injuries weren't much more severe.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 09:46:09 am »
I knew from the beginning that I'm too big of a clutz to be trusted with glass.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:15:11 am »
My last one is going to go as soon as I rack my cider out of it.  Maybe a good thing to do this weekend.  I have enough plastics and stainless bucket types to get by without using glass, anyway.  I see that it is just not worth it.  Next question - will the recycling accept this?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 11:49:15 am »
I still use them for wine. Will probably continue to do so. Buying anything from garage sales is iffy especially glass. I do a lot of canning and preserving and I would never use garage sale jars even if they are name brands like Ball or Kerr.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 11:55:32 am »
I still use glass carboys, but I am thinking of changing to the plastic ones with the big, screw on lid.
Three have broken in about 30 years, but none of them injured anybody and I haven't lost any beer.  Yet.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:27:31 pm »
Yikes! Glad it wasn't any more serious than it was, and hope you are able to recuperate quickly.

I just switched to small stainless steel fermenters earlier this year...mostly for safety, but also for easier cleaning.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Fire Rooster

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 01:45:43 pm »
I walk down a flight of stairs with this.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HwkzcEbiMqM/UopQ8YXqUKI/AAAAAAAAgiE/MALHbR1kJOY/s1600/cln_img_8835.jpg
(not my pic,found online)

If I do fall, beer won't spill, it will be shakened not stirred.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:59:40 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 01:52:11 pm »
Thanks everyone! I definitely see stainless fermenters in my future. And to clarify, I used some yard sale finds very early in my brewing but those have long since been put to pasture. Everything I've been using recently have been obtained from other brewers and inspected. Still dangerous!

Love my Speidels!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:56:00 pm by TANSTAAFB »

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 03:31:51 pm »
Glad that you are on the mend!  Thank you for going to effort to SHOW me what can happen.  Its changed my mind about my carboys.  More keg fermentors it is then!

Offline Kevin Brady

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 03:32:24 pm »
Glad OP's OK. Another brewing site has an entire thread devoted to glass carboy accidents, and you don't want to peruse that before lunch. Lots of stitches and spilled beer.

Even though I've switched to a couple 7 gal Brew Buckets, I still occasionally use 5 and 6 gallon glass carboys for aging, and I have a few 3 gal glass for smaller batches.

If you insist on using glass, consider using plastic milk crates to carry them. Glass is quite slippery when wet. And only buy the good, Italian glass carboys, made from uniformly-thick glass. If it doesn't have "Made in Italy" stamped on the bottom, then no-go. And forget about the glass BMBs, they can be wafer-thin in places.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 07:45:23 pm »
I switched to 5 gallon kegs for fermenters a few years back, and I won't be going back to carboys. Speedy recovery, that photo gives me the willies.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 07:49:08 pm »
Does anyone want to buy a 6.5 gallon and 5 gallon glass carboy?

Na zdrowie!