Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stuff that grows in the mash tun after brewing. (sort'a OT)  (Read 1109 times)

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
I brewed last Sunday. My custom is to clean the brew rig the next day, but I got called in to work, and what with one thing and another I didn't get around to it until Wednesday. By then I had some God awful stuff growing in the remaining water! This isn't the first time that's happened, and I have been thinking of using it to make a sour, but this time something clicked. Sourdough starter!

I added 3 oz of water and 1 oz of the nasty runoff to 4 oz of flour and mixed it up. 24 hours later I had activity, so I fed it 4+4. Today I fed it 4+4 again, and the thing is going crazy! I'm going to feed it again tomorrow and then bake something Monday. I'll report back then, but it looks promising!

Charlie

Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Stuff that grows in the mash tun after brewing. (sort'a OT)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 05:18:56 am »
Sounds interesting!  I made a sour mash beer once - yes, a beer from that sour mash - and honestly it came out great and was not even funky after the fermentation, probably because it was also boiled after the mash.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:35:45 am »
I did this with a wheat yeast this year.  It worked and the breads had very good, unique flavors.  The only issue I had was that it was very slow.  First rise took 8 - 10 hours.  Second took another 5 or 6.  I'm just not that patient for a loaf of bread. 
 ::)

Have fun!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 10:30:08 am »
You need to be careful with a new wild culture that shows activity quickly, as most of the gas is being produced by Leuconostoc bacteria, not yeast.  I learned this lesson the hard way when I first started to make sourdough bread with a culture I created.  Hopefully, your culture has a high yeast cell count.  However, if things do not work out, you can make a modification to the media on the first inoculation next time.  Instead of adding three ounces of water, add three ounces of pineapple juice.  Flour has a pH of around 6.0. Pineapple has a pH of 3.5.  Together, the pH settles down to between 4 and 4.5.  That pH will keep Leuconostoc bacteria from dominating the culture in the early stages of growth and give the wild yeast in the flour and the culture that is being used to inoculate the flour and pineapple juice a chance to grow.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 10:35:34 am »
You need to be careful with a new wild culture that shows activity quickly, as most of the gas is being produced by Leuconostoc bacteria, not yeast.  I learned this lesson the hard way when I first started to make sourdough bread with a culture I created.  Hopefully, your culture has a high yeast cell count.  However, if things do not work out, you can make a modification to the media on the first inoculation next time.  Instead of adding three ounces of water, add three ounces of pineapple juice.  Flour has a pH of around 6.0. Pineapple has a pH of 3.5.  Together, the pH settles down to between 4 and 4.5.  That pH will keep Leuconostoc bacteria from dominating the culture in the early stages of growth and give the wild yeast in the flour and the culture that is being used to inoculate the flour and pineapple juice a chance to grow.

Peter Reinhart, my bread guru, recommends rye flour and pineapple juice for a sourdough starter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 04:22:09 pm »

That's good info. Thanks!

Charles
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 01:01:25 pm »

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:29:49 pm »
The "Starter" got inactive. I fed it again but it didn't bubble, and then it got nasty, so I pitched it.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 08:22:01 pm »
The "Starter" got inactive. I fed it again but it didn't bubble, and then it got nasty, so I pitched it.

Not too surprising.  There's definitely lacto in there but you also get all kinds of anaerobic nasties in the spent grainbed that i'm sure would outcompete it at room temperature, at least enough to make it stink. Yes I've experienced it.