Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Carb Beer  (Read 2180 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Low Carb Beer
« on: August 02, 2020, 10:16:31 am »
At age 62, I have growing concern for my carbohydrate consumption, particularly when it comes to beer.  So I started searching and found something quite interesting.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried this.

https://blog.2keto.com/recipe/carls-zero-carb-ipa-beer/

Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Low Carb Beer
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 12:40:37 pm »
I dunno, sounds pretty horrible to me. I think a Brut or Brett IPA sounds much better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 12:53:18 pm »
I've got 10 years on you and have several body parts that have either been replaced or repaired. I've discovered that most all of the healthy alternatives don't do much to dull the pains. When it comes to making a choice between prolonging life and enjoying it, I'll take the enjoyment every time. Plenty of whiskey and beer does wonders for pain. Healthy eating does nothing.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 12:56:52 pm »
Hoppy, watered-down Irish whiskey doesn’t get me very excited.  Why not just skip the dry hopping and add an isomerized extract?  Even so, it’s not for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:04:49 pm »
Hoppy, watered-down Irish whiskey doesn’t get me very excited.  Why not just skip the dry hopping and add an isomerized extract?  Even so, it’s not for me.

It won't even be very hoppy since there's no boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 01:38:05 pm »

It won't even be very hoppy since there's no boil.

Good point, so dry hopped, watered down whiskey...same feelings on that.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 03:46:35 pm »
Why carbs? Unless you have a specific medical condition that a low carb diet can help regulate I think carbs are just the most recent bogeyman like fat was in the eighties. If it’s excess body weight a low carb diet can help jump start the weight loss but long term it’s all about getting rid of bad overeating habits.
If you do really think you need less carbs I think that rather than gimmicks like this just drinking beer less often or in smaller servings is best. There are other beverages with less carbs. I recommend getting quinine extract and making your own sugarless gin and tonics with soda water. I don’t miss the corn syrup in the tonic water at all.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 06:14:21 am »
Why carbs? Unless you have a specific medical condition that a low carb diet can help regulate I think carbs are just the most recent bogeyman like fat was in the eighties. If it’s excess body weight a low carb diet can help jump start the weight loss but long term it’s all about getting rid of bad overeating habits.
If you do really think you need less carbs I think that rather than gimmicks like this just drinking beer less often or in smaller servings is best. There are other beverages with less carbs. I recommend getting quinine extract and making your own sugarless gin and tonics with soda water. I don’t miss the corn syrup in the tonic water at all.

I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and my Doctor and Dietician have instructed me to closely monitor my A1C and to do so, I have to keep my carbs below 100 per day.  Most of the beers I brew finish out at between 20-25 carbs per 12oz. bottle, according to Mr. Goodbeer.com.  So, I found the recipe I posted and decided to ask about it.

Gin and Tonic is a great suggestion.  Thank you.  I am using Splenda to make a simple syrup to use in a sugar-free and no-carb whiskey sour that’s actually very good.  You would never know it was sugar free.  I’ll try the gin tonic!  Thanks again!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 07:54:22 am »
.  I am using Splenda to make a simple syrup to use in a sugar-free and no-carb whiskey sour that’s actually very good.  You would never know it was sugar free.  I’ll try the gin tonic!  Thanks again!

Homemade tonic water is *excellent* (and cheaper in the long run), and I would bet that a Splenda-based version would be pretty tasty as you dial in the proportions.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 06:17:18 am »
What does that homemade gin and tonic look like. Just a couple drops of extract added to the gin? Or...?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 06:55:57 am »
...  I am using Splenda to make a simple syrup to use in a sugar-free and no-carb whiskey sour that’s actually very good.  You would never know it was sugar free.  ...

I just made a batch of simple syrup last night. Never thought of Splenda syrup. I might try that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 02:58:34 pm »

completely this. I don't know you personally, but I know that many Americans are basically malnourished, despite believing they are eating a healthy or "average" diet, especially people who are older than 50. The best diet (and i mean explanation of foods usually eaten) is simply reasonable portions of fresh meat, fresh vegetables and fruit and unprocessed carbohydrates along with exercise. The degree to which "carbs" are processed IMHO is the biggest determinant of how they will affect your body. Also basically cut out the concept of "snacking" and "desserts" and sugar in general.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 07:51:26 pm »
What does that homemade gin and tonic look like. Just a couple drops of extract added to the gin? Or...?

My homemade g&t, sans sugar= pint glass full of ice cubes, build with 1 1/2oz gin, 2 drops quinine extract from eye dropper, 1or 2 drops monk fruit liquid sweetener, 1generous wedge lime, thoroughly squeezed into glass and topped with plain seltzer. I like it also with no sweetener, simple syrup, or flavored syrup.
I sometimes like to quote P.G. Wodehouse’s Bertie Wooster and exclaim that I am about to get on the outside of a gin and tonic.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 05:00:38 pm »
Pete, is there a good brand and or price for the quinine extract? I see all kinds of options when I search for it, just don't know which are good and which are garbage

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 05:58:42 pm »
Pete, is there a good brand and or price for the quinine extract? I see all kinds of options when I search for it, just don't know which are good and which are garbage

My wife bought this a few years ago. It works great. She tends to get enthusiastic about things like this. That's a lifetime supply.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk