Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long are miller grains good for?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
How long are miller grains good for?
« on: January 22, 2021, 04:23:57 pm »
I have about 5 pounds of munich and 5 pounds of kolsch I milled at LHBS about a month and a half ago and they have been sealed in a home depot bucket, check em out they smell decent and have been dry. Would you try it? I'm already brewing tomorrow and will have my things out I might as well brew Sunday as well. I hate to see grains go to waste

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: How long are miller grains good for?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 04:25:13 pm »
*milled

This is what they have been stored in

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 04:53:11 pm »
Briess says 2 years.  My own experience is that 5 months was fine.  We did this on the podcast....https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-22-anything-stale-wisconsin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:55:02 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 04:59:21 pm »
When I first started my brewery in Huntsville, AL 10 years ago we ordered grain ground and when sealed it easily lasted 6 months through hot and humid warehouse environments.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 05:01:46 pm »
brulosophy did an experiment on it, surprise surprise "no difference detected". but they did test it.

ive had grains sit around for several months and made beers i thought were good. as denny says 5 months should be fine.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 05:27:05 pm »

brulosophy did an experiment on it, surprise surprise "no difference detected". but they did test it.

As the aphorism says "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".
No difference means that the experiment failed (to reject the null hypothesis).
There're many option not mutually exclusive for the experiment failing, only one of them being that there's no difference between milled and not milled.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 05:30:46 pm »
Thanks y'all!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 06:44:47 pm »

There're many option not mutually exclusive for the experiment failing, only one of them being that there's no difference between milled and not milled.
Cheers!

I’d like to see those who object to the way these guys do it, redo it correctly to get more accurate results. I’d like to see several of these corrections many disagree with to see if the results stand or are reversed.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 07:27:52 pm »

Cheers!

aphorisms don't "say", they may "state" or "illustrate" however.

*many options, not (remainder is run-on sentence)
Cheers!

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 08:01:57 pm »

Cheers!

aphorisms don't "say", they may "state" or "illustrate" however.

*many options, not (remainder is run-on sentence)
Cheers!
Thanks for the correction. English is my second language

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 08:24:12 pm »

Cheers!

I’d like to see those who object to the way these guys do it, redo it correctly to get more accurate results. I’d like to see several of these corrections many disagree with to see if the results stand or are reversed.

The objection is to the interpretation of the conclusion.
No as scientific conclusions can be taken from a failed experiment.
It's not useless but it's just anecdotal evidence.
Answering scientific criticism with "if you don't like it, then you do it" is silly.
I see myself out.
Cheers!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 09:16:46 pm »
Uh... replicating experiments is exactly what scientists do to confirm conclusions.  In fact Scientists aim for their studies to be replicable — meaning that another researcher could perform a similar investigation and obtain the same basic results. When a study cannot be replicated, it suggests that our current understanding of the study system or our methods of testing are insufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 02:33:52 am »
I'll report back on how the beer tastes in a few weeks, that's the only scientific method I need. Well that and OHMs law

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 08:39:11 am »
Uh... replicating experiments is exactly what scientists do to confirm conclusions.  In fact Scientists aim for their studies to be replicable — meaning that another researcher could perform a similar investigation and obtain the same basic results. When a study cannot be replicated, it suggests that our current understanding of the study system or our methods of testing are insufficient.

i think he's not getting exactly what we mean due to language issues, assuming we reject experiments out of hand. im just not going to bother.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 12:47:16 pm »

First and foremost, I appeciate the data and experiments provided by Brulosophy. I just think (like all scientific literature), you need to view their results through the proper lens. Data is data, but conclusions based on probabilities are not absolutes.

Their choice of a p-value of 0.05 is a blessing and a curse. Their typical xBmt is not powerful enough to resolve all but the most clear-cut differences. You can trust that a p-value set that fine will eliminate the majority of false positives, but this isn't data from a particle collider or pharmaceutical research. And even in physics or medical journals the actual calculated p-value is always listed, and data from small experiments that trend towards a conclusion but have wider error bars are still presented as such. This allows the reader to apply the data itself, rather than just the authors' conclusions. It would be nice to see the actual p-value for each experiment, at the very least. The experimenters tend to treat their p-value of 0.05 as all-or-nothing, but like all probabilities this is just not the case.

And it's being dismissive or argumentative to state that that the failure to reject the null hypothesis doesn't say much, because in these experiments that is absolutely true. Brulosophy has chosen to focus on eliminating false positives, but that necessarily comes at the expense of increasing "false negatives" (in quotes because they aren't testing for negatives). That effect is increased significantly in small data sets. It's not a knock on the experimenters at all, it's simply how the math works out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer