Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hogaarden water profile  (Read 1624 times)

Offline MeMa

• 1st Kit
Hogaarden water profile
« on: January 22, 2021, 04:31:37 am »
Any suggestions on Hogaarden water profile? Currently using:

Ca) 76
Mg) 12
Na) 15.8
SO4) 147
Cl) 31
HCO3) 8
Alkalinity) 6.7
RA) 55

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Re: Hogaarden water profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 10:00:24 am »
The sulfate is too high, should be about half that.  Sulfate like that is for a dry IPA
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 03:36:48 pm »
Yah, the sulfate is too high.  I'm a long way from a sulfate-phobe, but you don't want to go overboard with sulfate's drying effect in an otherwise delicate beer.

There is an actual Hoegaarden water profile in Bru'n Water and it is accurate.  The sulfate is about half what is shown above. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline MeMa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 04:52:48 am »
Are the numbers for Hoegaarden from the water supply, or what the brewery uses in its beer?

Thanks for the input on Sulphate/Chloride ratio, what would be an ideal ratio for Hoegaarden? I know there is never an ideal, but any thoughts would be good.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 08:15:58 am »
Forget the ratio. It’s useless.

Yes, the profile is from the municipal supply and there’s no telling if brewers adjusted the water from there. But considering that water adjustment was rarely a consideration for brewers, I’d bet that what you see is what they used.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:00:09 am »

Yes, the profile is from the municipal supply and there’s no telling if brewers adjusted the water from there. But considering that water adjustment was rarely a consideration for brewers, I’d bet that what you see is what they used.

People need to get that through their heads.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 11:37:21 am »

Is this something from Ray Daniels’ book?  I think my learning took place before that, so I never could figure out what the ratio was all about.  He also has a BU:OG ratio that I never quite understood the importance of.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 11:45:38 am »

Is this something from Ray Daniels’ book?  I think my learning took place before that, so I never could figure out what the ratio was all about.  He also has a BU:OG ratio that I never quite understood the importance of.

Different thing.  BU:GU is a way of correlating bitterness to gravity.  SO4:Cl refers to sulfate to chloride ratio.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 12:55:53 pm »

I couldn't agree more! 20ppm of chloride to 40 ppm of sulfate is the same ratio as 200 ppm of chloride to 400 ppm of sulfate. The first one you probably couldn't taste, while the second one would be rather intensely drying. The two ingredients don't cancel each other out, but they do tend to provide opposing effects.

In the end, they are two separate ingredients, rather than two sides of the same coin. I always take the approach of setting the value for each one individually based on what I'm looking for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 01:27:44 pm »

Different thing.  BU:GU is a way of correlating bitterness to gravity.  SO4:Cl refers to sulfate to chloride ratio.
Yes, I know that.  I was thinking both of those ratios were initially from the same source.  I don’t use either.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 03:34:55 pm »
for delicate beers I usually target equal part chlorides an sulfates to get to 30ppm calcium and then adjust with acid of baking soda to get my ph right. I prefer soft water for most beers, with a fwe notable exceptions