Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hard apple cider ideas  (Read 10806 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Re: hard apple cider ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 01:17:03 am »
so the first batch had fermented out to ~1.000 just racked today (9/21) very tart but good.
the second batch as pitched with WLP-715 champagne yeast and 2TBSp of honey was added. I'm not sure if it was the yeast or honey it as noticeably sweeter. Would the honey make it sweeter or is it more due tot he yeast? also the second batch was pitched about 1wk later, for and is already down to 1.012, that seems "fast" for a champagne yeast?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 07:14:56 am »
You don't mention batch size, but 2 tablespoons of honey won't make a noticeable difference in even a 1 gallon batch of cider. If it is at 1.012, then it IS sweeter, but that is because it is not done fermenting. There is still sugar left to be eaten, and a lot of it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »
the batches are about 4gal, that makes sense for the sweetness level. I didn't think that small of amount of honey would make it sweeter and or affect the gravity, but this is my first cider and i wasn't sure how the honey would play with the apple juice.

This project has been interesting, i have been the consultant not the "brewer" so the addition of the honey and champagne yeast to the second batch was a surprise.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:02:26 pm by csu007 »
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline VikingDan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 11:18:32 am »
I am new to cider making and didnt take an sg before i started fermentation now im almost 4 days in and its bubbling away is there a way for me to test alcohol content after fermentation