Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Co2 leak help  (Read 1515 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Co2 leak help
« on: August 03, 2020, 07:23:36 am »
I recently switched from a single regular to a double so I could use a Blichmann beer gun.  I installed a spitter on one side to accommodate it.  Ever since I've done this I have a slow leak that I can't find.  I am hoping someone here can verify or correct me on how I am connection everything.  I am going to go through every connection.   

1) CO2 to regulator: I have the taprite flat seal but do I need some type or washer in between? (I am fully aware that the washer is not installed correctly.  My question assumes it will be installed correctly)

2)  Gas out connections (See picture below)

A- This is attached to a gas line with a threaded adapter.  I seal with pipe tape and a 1/4" flare washer (pictured below).  Is that correct?
B- I seal with strictly pipe tape.  Is that correct?
C-I seal the top ones with pipe tape and the flare washers (pictured below).  Is that correct?  The bottom is attached to a gas line with a threaded adapter.  I seal with pipe tape and a 1/4" flare washer (pictured below).  Is that correct?

Flare washers mentioned above.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Co2 leak help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:38:16 am »
One of your small shut-off valves might be leaking.  I had this issue a while ago when I added a low pressure regulator (0-15 PSI) to my single regulator system.  The valve eventually started to leak and would drain off CO2.  Replaced it and it fixed the problem.  If you have a spray bottle put some Star San or soapy water in it and spray all of the connections.  That will tell you where the leak is

For what it is worth, I have a similar setup on the CO2 bottle in my lagering/carbonating freezer, although mine has three ports instead of two on one gauge.  It works great.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:46:01 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:38:53 am »
I agree with goose. I had those red handled valves on my gas manifold and had nothing but trouble with them. They'd usually leak around the stem when turned to the on position. Finally had enough, so I got rid of them and just use barbed fittings. No leaks since the change and it's been a couple of years.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:03:01 am »
I've had a leak from the gas tank valve which I fixed by tightening the bolt in the middle of the handle.  Also the gas tank valve should be fully opened or fully closed.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 11:40:12 am »
Regarding the gas out connections, I'm not 100% clear on what you are doing but it seems you are using a flare washer and teflon tape on the same connection.  You should use one or the other, not both.  Where a flare washer should be used, the purpose of the threads is to tighten the connection enough so that the flare washer seals; the threads are not intended to seal. 

It seems that connections A&C are not right if I understand you correctly; just use a flare washer. Does B have a rubber washer on the male part (I can't really tell what exactly I'm seeing)?  If not, just use teflon tape (or maybe pipe dope).  FYI, there is a right way to apply teflon tape.  The teflon tape should be wound onto the male fitting in the same direction as the screw threads so that the teflon tape is not undone when you screw the fitting in.  There are probably better explanations on the internet on how to exactly apply teflon tape.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 12:11:08 pm »
I had a brass shut off valve on a manifold that leaked, checked with leak detector. Tightened, still leaked at the threads. Tightened again, it snapped off. There was porosity in the casting, bought a new one .
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 10:40:28 am »
I had a brass shut off valve on a manifold that leaked, checked with leak detector. Tightened, still leaked at the threads. Tightened again, it snapped off. There was porosity in the casting, bought a new one .
+1. Tightening a joint with a cracked fitting just makes the leak worse.

Hand crafted in the TN Valley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 11:45:47 am »
+1. Tightening a joint with a cracked fitting just makes the leak worse.

Hand crafted in the TN Valley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than a crack, it was a void. The leak got real bad when it was in two pieces. ;-)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!