Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The next big investment?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
The next big investment?
« on: August 03, 2020, 07:53:20 am »
Hi all,

I'm considering another big investment in home brewing.  For some background, I run a 20 gallon eHERMS system with a 14 gallon Spike Fermenter.  I find myself making 5 gallon batches about half the time and 10 gallons the other half.  I have all the usual equipment (bottle capper, ph meter, scales, mill, etc).  I do have a small 2 gallon BIAB from my days as a newbie in the hobby that I've used for experiments mostly but have no way to temp control fermentation with that system.

I'm planning to get a motor hooked up for my mill to avoid the hand-crank and drill method. 

I've been contemplating getting another temp controlled fermenter (conical or bucket) so I could make back to back batches and still have temp control or be able to split a batch between vessels to experiment.  I'm also considering a can seamer or Spikes new solo basket.  I would appreciate any opinions to help me decide.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: The next big investment?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 07:57:04 am »
I've been contemplating getting another temp controlled fermenter (conical or bucket) so I could make back to back batches and still have temp control or be able to split a batch between vessels to experiment.  I'm also considering a can seamer or Spikes new solo basket.  I would appreciate any opinions to help me decide.

If you brew enough to make it worth it, I would suggest more temperature controlled fermenters. I have capacity to do three 5-gallon batches (at two different temperatures--I use chest freezers), and it's really nice to have multiple beers in the pipeline. (I drink nearly 100% homebrew, so keeping the pipeline flowing is important for me!)
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 09:13:18 pm »
I know cans are all the rage but ten years ago would you have cared to have your beer in cans? Package formats come and go. They certainly have a cool factor right now but in a few years we'll all pine for the glorious twelve ounce longneck (or something else) and cans will be just another format on the shelf. Certainly if you take your beer into glass-prohibited areas often it might make a ton of sense--assuming you can buy blank cans into the future. With the supposed aluminum shortage there's a risk you won't be able to get cans or at a reasonable price.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 05:39:55 am »
Agree that cans for homebrewing are overkill unless you are just dying to spend the money. What about some dedicated lab equipment? Microscope, hemocitometer, autoclave or small pressure cooker, plates, slants, etc. and start up a yeast library? Perhaps also over kill for homebrewers but a fun extension of the hobby.

I recently bought a blue tooth hydrometer/thermometer that floats in the fermenter that I swear I never would need but the price was only $125. I haven't used it yet but it seems like a cool gadget.

I'd consider a couple 10 gallon stainless conicals with a dedicated glycol system if I could afford it. Amazing they are making these availale to homebrewers now

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 08:18:41 am »
I've got 3 Grainfather conicals and their glycol system.  It's made a huge improvement to my brewing experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 08:48:27 am »
I've got 3 Grainfather conicals and their glycol system.  It's made a huge improvement to my brewing experience.
Paying retail that's about $3000.
Perhaps you can sell me a slightly used system when you get some new stuff. ;)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 09:52:51 am »

Yes, it's not as inexpensive as other options.  But I don't know of a homebrew retailer that doesn't discount them.  And IMO it's worth it for the build quality, performance and system integration.  It's it's not for you, it's not for you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 11:19:02 am »

Get a job, hobo!  :P ;)

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 03:39:36 pm »
I know cans are all the rage but ten years ago would you have cared to have your beer in cans? Package formats come and go.

reverseapachemaster, I never thought of that but it sure is true.  I think you have saved me from investing in a can seamer.  I have a stainless steel growler I take places if I can't have glass and I can't bring a whole keg.  It is rare I go somewhere where glass is a no no.

Another conical with temperature control is looking more and more likely. I've really enjoyed my Spike. I have a homemade glycol unit right now made out of a 5,000 BTU AC unit.  I should probably be saving some funds for a legitimate one when that gives out too.

I recently bought a blue tooth hydrometer/thermometer that floats in the fermenter that I swear I never would need but the price was only $125. I haven't used it yet but it seems like a cool gadget.

majorvices, are you talking about a Tilt?.  I have one and really like it.  It is a few points off usually but it really helps to know how your yeast is doing, time dry hopping, and record fermentation temperatures.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here

narvin

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 06:51:12 am »
I know cans are all the rage but ten years ago would you have cared to have your beer in cans? Package formats come and go. They certainly have a cool factor right now but in a few years we'll all pine for the glorious twelve ounce longneck (or something else) and cans will be just another format on the shelf. Certainly if you take your beer into glass-prohibited areas often it might make a ton of sense--assuming you can buy blank cans into the future. With the supposed aluminum shortage there's a risk you won't be able to get cans or at a reasonable price.

You're right -- 10 years ago I would have thought canning was crazy!  But I was ignorant about oxygen ingress.  Besides, I was mostly into bottles for "cool factor" anyway.  I got a champaign corker specifically so I could reuse the Chimay style Belgian 750s.  There was a practical side, in that they can handle very high carbonation.  But for Pilsners and IPAs, there are only downsides.

Plus, if I'm not kegging the reason is for taking beer on the go.  Nothing is more convenient than cans, especially if you're tubing on the river.

Offline BrewBama

The next big investment?
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 08:35:51 am »

He ain’t payin.  When he did it was a blue igloo cooler with a toilet braid and a bucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:17:09 am by BrewBama »