Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Labels  (Read 1219 times)

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
Bottle Labels
« on: August 03, 2020, 09:54:58 am »
How many people have used Grogtag for their labels?  Do they come off real easily?  I've held off putting labels on my bottles because I don't want to deal with taking them back off again. 

Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
Re: Bottle Labels
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:40:05 am »
I didn't want to bother with labels but wanted to be able to mark the bottles. I use 3/4 inch circular labels from Avery. Using their template and Microsoft Word. Only problem is that they are not water proof and I have never bothered to do so. Using small font's I can name the brew, have an illustration, type of beer and estimated alcohol percentage.

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 11:08:19 am »
Thanks, I've thought about that.  I've been just marking with a sharpie the caps so far.  I'm just curious how easily these labels come off. I wouldn't mind getting "fancy" with some of the brews.
Andy K

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:27:15 am »
The Grog tag labels stick pretty well. They do come off fairly easy, but you may get some dogeared corners from trying to get an edge up to start unpeeling. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it may be for some if you want them to look top-notch after several uses.

I have some dry-erase ones, but I've been a bit disappointed with their erasability. I haven't been able to get all the writing off from previous batches, so I have to toss them after a few uses.

Prior to using Grog tags, I ordered a few different label types from onlinelabels.com. The one I used the most of was a clear/waterproof circular label that I put on my caps. I had a template with my "brewery logo" in the center and typed the beer name around the perimeter. It was easy to print a sheet or two to label a batch, and I never had to bother removing labels between batches. If I went back to bottling, I'd be using this method again for sure.

Here's a link to the cap labels I used:

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol5275cx
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 11:29:37 am »
I’ve used Grog Tag but I just print labels now. Of, course I only print one because I keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 11:59:19 am »
I have some dry-erase ones, but I've been a bit disappointed with their erasability. I haven't been able to get all the writing off from previous batches, so I have to toss them after a few uses.

Thanks - that is good to know.  I was thinking of getting generic ones with just my logo on them and then spots for beer name, abv, and bottle date on them.  I figured that way I could get a big run and get them for a better per piece price.

I keg most of my beer too but I would like some for gifts and special batches.  I would mostly use them for big beers and plan to age.
Andy K

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 12:09:46 pm »
I use the Avery 22827 and they hold up well when a bottle is in a cooler for a time, even soaking in the water they stick to the bottle.  They are easy to remove as well. 
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:58:14 pm »
For standard bottles with crimp tops I still just write the batch number on the cap.  I hang a list on the fridge door for people to use as their guide.

I don't bottle much anymore though.  For kegs I use garage sale tags that have a string to hang them on the keg lids (if that makes sense).

I hate removing labels.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 09:42:31 am »
I tried labels when I first started homebrewing more years ago than I care to think about. The novelty quickly wore off however and now I just use a sharpie on the crown to mark my bottled beer.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 09:55:43 am »
I use color-coded caps to indicate the beer style, and I label just a few bottles per batch. I print the labels on plain paper and attach them using the shrink-wrap FastLabel sleeves (https://www.morebeer.com/products/fastlabel-beer-label-sleeves-12-oz.html). Those come off easily with no problems at all. It is a bit more work to put them on, but since I only do  a handful at a time it is not an issue.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 08:20:40 am »
I tried labels when I first started homebrewing more years ago than I care to think about. The novelty quickly wore off however and now I just use a sharpie on the crown to mark my bottled beer.

Never bothered with bottle labels.  Don't really bottle much but when I do for sharing with friends in places like FL, I use the round Avery multi-purpose labels (05408) and stick them to the top of the bottle cap.  I write the beer on them and I am done.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 11:12:33 am »
I enjoy creating labels just as much as making the beer. I create mine in Word. Take them to the local library and print on high quality printer 4 labels per sheet. Costs me about $6 for a five gallon batch of 12 ounce bottles. I attach them using gelatin.

They drop off with warm water very easily but hold up to moisture in regular conditions.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 03:25:57 pm »
I went through the creative label phase, then to the Grog Tag labels (my Homebrew Club bulk ordered a bunch for bringing growlers to meetings and parties - I can see my grandkids now - what are those events, grampa?)  I now keg and use blue painters tape with style, gravities, and brewday and racking dates on them.  Sometimes I just list the style, if I know it will go fast.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"