Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Glassware  (Read 1089 times)

Offline John Mac

• 1st Kit
Glassware
« on: August 07, 2020, 07:41:16 am »
I like to think that beer is better in the right glass for the style. Has anyone got a good line on Belgian beer glasses? Most of the stuff online (Libby products) look more like tulip glasses rather than the chalice shape preferred by Orval, Chimay or Westmalle for their branded glassware.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Glassware
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 08:11:28 am »
I have a lot of glassware, but I don't remember ever buying any.  Entering and judging in homebrew competitions seems to be the most frequent way to receive them as well as from club raffles.  If you can wait until Christmas time, you will find some glasses included in the price of seasonal beer.  Sorry I can't help with stores.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 01:48:43 pm »
I like to think that beer is better in the right glass for the style. Has anyone got a good line on Belgian beer glasses? Most of the stuff online (Libby products) look more like tulip glasses rather than the chalice shape preferred by Orval, Chimay or Westmalle for their branded glassware.

I just did a glassware search myself (trying to find 0.3L/~12 oz. Willi Becher glasses), and searched a ton of places, including eBay, Etsy, Amazon, general Google searches, etc. It's really hard once you get out of the morphospace of "Shaker Pint" and "Tulip Glass," especially if you want glassware without branding, and even harder if you want glassware in the 12 oz. or smaller size range. I ended up finding what I needed on Amazon, and that was after a pretty exhaustive look elsewhere.

In the Before Times (prior to the pandemic), I sometimes had luck in local thrift stores and antique shops (where I got a really nice set of German pilsner glasses!)...but that's really hit-or-miss, and I always have the best finds when I'm not looking for anything in particular.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 02:32:46 pm »
Entering and judging in homebrew competitions seems to be the most frequent way to receive them as well as from club raffles. 

I could not believe how much swag I accumulated after I became a ranked BJCP judge, especially if when I volunteered to judge commercial brewery events.

Offline John Mac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 04:33:39 pm »

Offline John Mac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 04:38:46 pm »
Thanks much for the response!  The Frau already gives me grief about the amount of glassware in the cupboards. I suppose I could always go with branded stuff like Chimay or Westmalle since I usually end up using their strain of yeast, but I really like to limit my endorsements.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 04:43:15 pm »
The Frau already gives me grief about the amount of glassware in the cupboards.

When my now wife and I first moved in together - one of the very things she nixed was my 500+ beer glass collection. :)

I trimmed it back to 50 and dug in on those 50. It's since slowly creeped up, but they're all out in the brewery!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 08:24:12 pm »
I used to have a glassware collection but now I just keep a bag of solo cups next to the kegerator.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 06:30:48 am »
I have more of a glassware "accumulation" rather than a collection, per se. I often purchase beer glasses as souvenirs when travelling, especially if it's anything other than a pint glass (I have more than enough of those). Every few years I have to cull to make room for more.

I used to have a glassware collection but now I just keep a bag of solo cups next to the kegerator.

My cups and glasses are usually strewn about the kegerator area but I have to hide everything when I have parties. At one of my son's birthday parties, I had some idiot ignore the stack of red solo cups near the kegerator and use one of the giant 64-ounce baseball-game souvenir cups I had stacked up in the back. He proceeded to get blitzed in about 5 minutes and follow me around yammering about how "this is the best beer I've ever had" all day, while I was trying to set up pinatas, pin the tail on the donkey, etc. Now his kids only get invited if I know the mom is bringing them...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 10:16:27 am »
Check out local craigslist and fb beer groups because people are always purging glass collections and usually for free or very little. Breweries and bars used to give branded glassware away constantly to get people to come in but now that craft beer is more established those pint nights seem to be mostly a thing of the past. Nevertheless, a lot of that glassware remains in circulation.

I have a decent glassware collection and almost all of it came from those pint nights. I have purchased very few glasses. Despite having glasses in almost every size and style imaginable 95% of the time I drink out of shaker pints, 12oz can-shaped glasses, or large Duvel tulips. Although I don't use most of the glassware I keep it all because my wife likes them and the collection mostly came from pint night dates with my wife early in our relationship.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing