Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering a Oktobertfest-Marzenbier  (Read 1013 times)

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Lagering a Oktobertfest-Marzenbier
« on: July 19, 2020, 06:27:01 am »
Last March, I brewed Oktobertfest-Marzenbier from Andreas Krennmair book, “Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer”. It is in a keg lagering in a refrigerator since late March. It is not carbonated. But I did put CO2 in it to prevent the introduction of oxygen.

I planned to serve it at an Oktoberfest celebration this fall which has been cancelled. I was thinking of possibly continuing to lager it until the fall of 2021. Is this a good/bad idea? What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

Thank you in advance.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Lagering a Oktobertfest-Marzenbier
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 07:09:07 am »
You could, but it might stale a bit.  You really want to keep it in there for another 13 months?  You don't need the space?  I still wouldn't recommend it.  Better to enjoy it now and brew it a second time next year for freshness.

That being said, I personally still have bottled beers from 2016 and 2017 that still taste alright.  The 2016 is oxidized but it's a barleywine so it's somewhat expected.  The Scottish ale is still excellent despite its low alcohol content less than 4%.  Sometimes you get lucky.  But based on a lot of experience, most of the time... not so lucky.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 07:16:18 am »
I would tap the fest bier September 19 (actually, I’d probably tap it the 18th since that’s my birthday), analyze it to see if there are any adjustments I’d like to make, then re-brew it next yr. While some beers age well, most are best consumed fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 07:56:43 am »
Last March, I brewed Oktobertfest-Marzenbier from Andreas Krennmair book, “Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer”. It is in a keg lagering in a refrigerator since late March. It is not carbonated. But I did put CO2 in it to prevent the introduction of oxygen.

I planned to serve it at an Oktoberfest celebration this fall which has been cancelled. I was thinking of possibly continuing to lager it until the fall of 2021. Is this a good/bad idea? What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

Thank you in advance.
What does lagering mean to you? Is it on the yeast? Spunded in the keg? In the primary with airlock?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 08:07:57 am »
I am not fan of old beers. Drink it and make another one next year.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 08:13:16 am »
Tap it as planned. Drink it. Make a new one next year.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline bondra76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 08:49:19 am »
Im on the drink it train as well.

I know it doesn’t have much hops in it but the hops will degrade over time. And since it’s not a “big beer” any type of off flavors developed are going to stand out.

At the very least, I’d keg it right now to ensure it’s still what you want in quality/taste. That way if it isn’t - you have enough time to lager a new one by Oktoberfest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 09:09:56 am »
I did taste it a few weeks ago and it did taste fine. I will go ahead a carbonate this fall as planned. Thanks everybody for your opinion.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 05:50:53 am »
I would tap the fest bier September 19 (actually, I’d probably tap it the 18th since that’s my birthday), analyze it to see if there are any adjustments I’d like to make, then re-brew it next yr. While some beers age well, most are best consumed fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like this idea.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 10:14:39 pm »
I am not fan of old beers. Drink it and make another one next year.

This. I'm really getting increasingly into shorter wait times with the exception of roasted malt beers and even then there is a curve that does go down again.