Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole Cone Galena Hops  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Whole Cone Galena Hops
« on: August 07, 2020, 02:48:37 pm »
Does anyone know of a hop broker who is liquidating 2019 crop whole cone Galena?  Galena is my bittering hop of choice.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Whole Cone Galena Hops
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 02:49:30 pm »
Man, I havent seen Galena in years.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 02:57:35 pm »
Ted has 2017 whole Galena

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 03:26:28 pm »
That is a great price, but 2017 whole cone is a question mark with me.  It would be interesting to see a current AA profile.  The University of Maryland has hop growing research underway.  I was surprised to see that Galena is one of the best growing hops in Maryland.  I had a bumper crop of CTZ in the second year of growing that cultivar that measured at 17% AA.  I thought that CTZ would be a slam dunk in Maryland; however, Galena out performs it, and I prefer Galena to CTZ.  To me, Galena has the most versatile bitterness of all of the bittering hops.  It is clean and unobtrusive. Galena allows the aroma hops to shine.  Magnum is second, but not a close second, followed by Nugget.  All of the others are, no, just no when it comes to bittering beers other than strong, hoppy ales.  That may not matter to Millennial brewers who appear to be stuck in a yet another variation of IPA rut just like Boomers were stuck in an amber ale and lager rut,  but it matters to me because I prefer to stock a one, maybe two bittering hops.  For years, I brewed with just five hops; namely, Galena, Cascade, Tettnanger, Willamette, and Liberty (which replaced Mt. Hood because I think that it is a more noble-like triploid than Mt. Hood). 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 08:43:39 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 04:32:53 pm »

Wasnt that what filled those big USDA fields next to the YCH research fields last year?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 04:55:14 pm »

Wasnt that what filled those big USDA fields next to the YCH research fields last year?

Could be.  You expect me to remember a year ago?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »
I grow galena and agree it’s an outstanding and unobtrusive bittering hop. Like you say, it really let’s the aroma hops shine.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:30:04 pm »
anyone here remember Eroica?I liked its assertive bitterness. I think I may have been the only one that liked it though haha.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 03:01:35 pm »
...2017 whole cone is a question mark with me. ...

Give Ted a call or shoot him an email. He might be able to tell you what he expects to come in this upcoming harvest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 03:17:28 pm »
anyone here remember Eroica?I liked its assertive bitterness. I think I may have been the only one that liked it though haha.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 03:40:01 pm »

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time!

for sh**ts and giggles I googled them, looks like there were some 2018 for sale. Maybe they arent totally dead?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 09:59:35 am »
I placed a several pound order of 2019 pellets with Hops Direct. I ordered eight 1/2 lb bags, which should have resulted in a shipping weight of around 4.5lbs after the weight of the box was added to the equation. The actual shipping weight is 8lbs. Now, I have received bags of hops that were over their stated weight, but 8lbs when I was expecting a a package in the 4.5, maybe 5lb range.  I hope that the weight is wrong or I am going to be giving hops away. Eight pounds is more than two years of brewing for me. I use on average 2.5 to 3 ozs per batch. What drove me to get back into brewing was that the local package goods stores stock mega lager and craft ales that are best described as hop stunt beer, most of which have a strong litter box aroma. What blows me away is that a lot of guys perceive that aroma as pine and resin when it smells just like tomcat urine to me. Apparently, women sense the cat pee aroma more intensely than men.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 10:52:16 am »
I placed a several pound order of 2019 pellets with Hops Direct. I ordered eight 1/2 lb bags, which should have resulted in a shipping weight of around 4.5lbs after the weight of the box was added to the equation. The actual shipping weight is 8lbs. Now, I have received bags of hops that were over their stated weight, but 8lbs when I was expecting a a package in the 4.5, maybe 5lb range.  I hope that the weight is wrong or I am going to be giving hops away. Eight pounds is more than two years of brewing for me. I use on average 2.5 to 3 ozs per batch. What drove me to get back into brewing was that the local package goods stores stock mega lager and craft ales that are best described as hop stunt beer, most of which have a strong litter box aroma. What blows me away is that a lot of guys perceive that aroma as pine and resin when it smells just like tomcat urine to me. Apparently, women sense the cat pee aroma more intensely than men.
Hops direct has always been generous with their portions, and the quality of their hops has always been excellent. I use them primarily for aroma purposes and if stored well they will last for several years without noticeable degradation.

I can't comment on alpha acid degradation over time, because I use their hops primarily for "hop stunt" beers where the IBUs don't matter as much as the oz/gallon in whirlpool and dry hops.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 01:29:19 pm »
I believe Hop Heaven will be doing their presale soon and I bet he has some Galena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 02:44:01 pm »
For years, I brewed with just five hops; namely, Galena, Cascade, Tettnanger, Willamette, and Liberty

That's an interesting concept. I have wondered what I would brew if I just had one hop variety around. I feel like I could probably do a lot with just Mosaic and Perle.

Have you tried Millennium for bittering? It seems somewhere between Galena and Magnum, IME.