Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quince cider  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Quince cider
« on: August 28, 2020, 02:05:56 pm »
I have access to a couple hundred pounds of quince, and my googling of info related to quince cider making isnt getting many answers.

Has anyone made quince cider before?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Quince cider
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 03:19:23 pm »
I have tasted quince cider before but never made any.  I imagine it may be difficult to juice quince since they are generally very hard and dry.  Might have to let them overripen significantly.  Pectin might also cause a haze unless you add pectinase enzyme to the juice prior to fermentation.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 03:39:33 pm »
I have tasted quince cider before but never made any.  I imagine it may be difficult to juice quince since they are generally very hard and dry.  Might have to let them overripen significantly.  Pectin might also cause a haze unless you add pectinase enzyme to the juice prior to fermentation.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

will do. I measured their sugar at 17 brix, Im sure my yield per pound will be terrible. I have them picked and sweating right now, so I will keep you posted.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 09:52:00 pm »
I have heard that a secret to making award winning apple pies is to add 5-10% quince mixed in with the apples as they ahve a stronger appley aroma and taste, while of course being too sour/bitter? (ive eaten them before, but cant quite remember) taste.

maybe consider that with apple cider.