Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole Cone Galena Hops  (Read 1868 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Whole Cone Galena Hops
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 09:48:05 am »
For years, I brewed with just five hops; namely, Galena, Cascade, Tettnanger, Willamette, and Liberty

That's an interesting concept. I have wondered what I would brew if I just had one hop variety around. I feel like I could probably do a lot with just Mosaic and Perle.

Have you tried Millennium for bittering? It seems somewhere between Galena and Magnum, IME.

If I took IPA's out of the mix, I could brew all my beers with just Sterling and EKG if I had to.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 12:10:23 pm »
For years, I brewed with just five hops; namely, Galena, Cascade, Tettnanger, Willamette, and Liberty

That's an interesting concept. I have wondered what I would brew if I just had one hop variety around. I feel like I could probably do a lot with just Mosaic and Perle.

Have you tried Millennium for bittering? It seems somewhere between Galena and Magnum, IME.

If I took IPA's out of the mix, I could brew all my beers with just Sterling and EKG if I had to.

same here, except I use Aurora darn near exclusively.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 04:10:04 pm »

No, Magnum is my backup bittering hop. Magnum shares the same clean bitterness as Galena because Galena is one its parents. 

This year, I will be bittering mostly with Magnum and using Mittlefruh, Zatec Red (a.k.a Czech Saaz), Styrian Goldings, Willamette, Cascade, Mt. Hood, and U.S. Tettnanger (which is actually believed to be a cross between Tettnang Tettnanger and Fuggle) as late hops.  If I could have found 2019 Liberty, I would brewing with it in place of Mittlefruh and Mt. Hood because it has characteristics of both hops. 

If anyone has never tried it, try using Zatec Red liberally and Cascade judiciously as late hops in a dark gold to amber lager.  I got the idea from a contract Marzen-style beer that was sold locally in the late eighties called "Olde Heurich."  If I recall correctly, the beer was brewed under contract at FX Matt.  The key is be conservative with Cascade near and at the end of the boil.  Cascade needs to complement Zatec Red, which it can easily overpower.  Used this way, Cascade adds a brightness to Zatec Red's spiciness. It makes all of the flavors pop.