Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: rice hull percentage  (Read 14330 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: rice hull percentage
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 04:01:10 pm »
most of the time a shorter braid works better.
Can you explain this too* Denny?  How short are we talking about?  How long should the braid be for that 70 qt cooler we were talking about in the other thread?  I know I said I got it to use as a cooler and not a mash tun, but as long as I have it I might as well try it out, right? :)

I've heard from a lot of people who had problems with the braid floating (I don't consider that a problem, but some do), or getting tangled if it's too long.  One person even told me that shortening the braid increased his efficiency, although I have trouble understanding why that would be.  In my experiments, I've used braids from 3" to the length of my cooler with equal results from all of them.  The only reason my current braid is the length of my cooler is that it's the last length I tried and I was too lazy to change it.  Keep in mind that all of the draining happens at the cooler outlet, so a longer braid doesn't really provide more "space" for the wort to run through.

*And go and answer the other thing I asked you about.

done!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 04:19:48 pm »
My braid is probably about 8-9 inches long. I tied it in a knot and this keeps it from floating and I have no issues with run off.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 04:50:39 pm »
I have 2, 12" pieces of 1/2" braid. Short didn't work for me, but this setup never sticks.

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
  • Location - Philadelphia Area
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Keep in mind that all of the draining happens at the cooler outlet, so a longer braid doesn't really provide more "space" for the wort to run through.

But a longer braid does provide more surface area to gather and channel the wort to the outlet which could make a difference with compressed grain beds and gummy grains like wheat and rye.

Just a thought

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 08:34:33 pm »

Keep in mind that all of the draining happens at the cooler outlet, so a longer braid doesn't really provide more "space" for the wort to run through.

But a longer braid does provide more surface area to gather and channel the wort to the outlet which could make a difference with compressed grain beds and gummy grains like wheat and rye.

Just a thought

That's what I was thinking too, but it sounds like it's not a problem for these guys.

Do you tilt the mash tun a little bit to aid in the wort flowing to the channel?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 09:27:22 pm »

Just a thought

That's what I was thinking too, but it sounds like it's not a problem for these guys.

Do you tilt the mash tun a little bit to aid in the wort flowing to the channel?

I will tilt it after the final sparge.  Since the outlet is just above the bottom of the tun it helps to get out the last bit of wort.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 09:36:10 am »

Just a thought

But it really doesn't channel it to the output since the braid is open.  The wort merely runs through it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 10:09:09 am »

Just a thought

But it really doesn't channel it to the output since the braid is open.  The wort merely runs through it.

If a longer perforated tube isn't an advantage, then a sewer system wouldn't need but a couple of feet of lateral line. Same thing only backwards..

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 10:09:39 am »
 I have a ~4" braid connected to the outlet with a ~4" piece of 1/2" copper pipe w/ hacksaw slots on the tail end. Stops the floating issue and if the wort wants to go through the pipe slots or braid or a combination of the two, then help yourself. Never had a problem of any kind with this setup. My cooler is red w/blue stripes too. I like the best of both worlds.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 10:11:56 am »
If a longer perforated tube isn't an advantage, then a sewer system wouldn't need but a couple of feet of lateral line. Same thing only backwards..

Based on my experience, I don't know if that's a valid comparison.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 10:14:00 am »
The generally recommended amount is "a handful".

Or about 4 oz. ;)  depending on the size of your hand.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 10:17:25 am »

Based on my experience, I don't know if that's a valid comparison.

The grain bed compresses around the braid forming what amounts to a pipe with perforations. The more perforations which are provided by the longer braid /pipe the more wort that can be filtered as the grain bed compresses or as the filtering slows due to clogging of the braid by fines or sticky material.  If all goes right you wouldn't need a long braid but when adding wheat or rye the additional length gives you an added safety factor.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:19:11 am by mrcceo »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 10:18:49 am »
I've also heard (I believe it was Gordon Strong) of cutting channels in a grid pattern in the grain bed to facilitate better channeling.  
Ron Price

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:10 am »
I'm not saying a short tube won't work, but the added length is a nice safety factor. Just stands to reason that the more surface area your filter has, the faster it will allow the runnings to flow and the less likely it will clog.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:15 am »
I'm not saying a short tube won't work, but the added length is a nice safety factor. Just stands to reason that the more surface area your filter has, the faster it will allow the runnings to flow and the less likely it will clog.

But why wouldn't the wort just flow in one side and out the other?  Why would it follow a perforated tube with so much open surface area?

www.dennybrew.com