Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Superbrau Yeast  (Read 5432 times)

Offline kurtrzebley

• 1st Kit
Superbrau Yeast
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:12:22 pm »
Hello all!
    I inherited some older brewing supplies including a short book "Brew it Yourself" by Leigh Beadle.  All his recipes include Superbrau as a yeast, even for the lager type beers.  I was curious what is the current best all purpose yeast to make ales and lagers.  I would assume it is not California common.  Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Superbrau Yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:06:48 am »
I'd say either Saflager 34/70 or Lallemand Diamond Lager.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kurtrzebley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:26:59 am »
Thanks!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 08:52:51 am »
No one yeast will be proper for every beer but if you have a few beers within a range that are your bread and butter you can adopt a go-to strain and branch out for the occasional special beer.

Just go thru the mfr of choice catalog and select based on what your limitations or desired characteristics are such as attenuation, flocculation, flavor contribution, temp range, whatever.

Then try a couple three or four brews with each on your short list and see what you like best.   

I did what I am recommending and landed on a strain that allows me to use my old fridge without overworking it, gives a neutral flavor, ferments in about a week, and clears brite. ...but those are my requirements. You may may different requirements.

I use my go-to for everything from Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Golden Ale, American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Brown Ale, IPA, Scottish Ale, Porter and Stout.  I have even snuck a faux lager or three in with it as well.

Have fun finding yours!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 03:11:10 pm »
No one yeast will be proper for every beer but if you have a few beers within a range that are your bread and butter you can adopt a go-to strain and branch out for the occasional special beer.

Just go thru the mfr of choice catalog and select based on what your limitations or desired characteristics are such as attenuation, flocculation, flavor contribution, temp range, whatever.

Then try a couple three or four brews with each on your short list and see what you like best.   

I did what I am recommending and landed on a strain that allows me to use my old fridge without overworking it, gives a neutral flavor, ferments in about a week, and clears brite. ...but those are my requirements. You may may different requirements.

I use my go-to for everything from Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Golden Ale, American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Brown Ale, IPA, Scottish Ale, Porter and Stout.  I have even snuck a faux lager or three in with it as well.

Have fun finding yours!

im gonna guess and say edinburgh ale yeast from white labs?

Offline BrewBama

Superbrau Yeast
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 03:14:03 pm »
LOL. Nope.

Bry-97 from Lallemand.

I forgot to mention ease of storage (vacuum sealed and refrigerated), pitch (no starter — just measure and pour), and cost (~$4.50 per 14 gram pitch). 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:59:18 pm by BrewBama »

Offline kurtrzebley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 07:44:50 pm »
Wow, thanks for the great replies.  I received this old book by Leigh Beadle from 1978 and he swears that you can make all these wonderful beers with just a slight variation few ingredients: Superbrau or Munton & Fison malt extract, corn sugar, Hallertauer hops, Superbrau yeast, Burton Water Salts with/or without 1/2 whole grain uncrushed crstal malt.  I also read an article about this guy in my Smithsonian Magazine in june (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/charlie-papazian-sparked-americas-craft-brew-revolution-180974877/)  and it discussed basic brewing in the 70's.
    So, after a few all grain sessions in the garage this summer, I was tired of the heat and the  insects and decided to try un-hopped malt extract recipes in the kitchen.  I also was able to get two cans of Muntons Amber Malt Extract for $20 at my LHBS.  My Beadlebrew Amber is now bubbling away.  I only substituted ph balancer for the water salts and Safale-05 for the yeast.
   I didn't know how to insert a file here so I shared a google drive link to a scan I made of the book, if anyone is interested: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i99ziROgxodwm3l2CvWuTZYy1Q1oIYzB/view?usp=sharing

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 06:07:24 am »
Though we stand on the shoulders of those who’ve gone before us, new knowledge has advanced us past that foundation.

Yeast processing and selection in particular has advanced tremendously lately.

While I also believe many beers can be produced by manipulating a few ingredients, many cannot and require unique ingredients and/or processes.

I would only use that book as a treasured reference to base a recipe on, not as a go-to guide to follow with strict adherence.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 07:51:13 am »
If the pH balancer you mention was 5.2, skip it.  It doesn't work.  It's unnecessary for extract.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 08:25:29 am »
I agree that you can make a variety of beers by just changing a few indgredients. Some well known breweries do that.

A book from 1978 would not be my go to. The exception would be if I was curious as to how homebrew tasted back then.

The uncrushed crystal is a new to me technique.

Please let us know how this turns out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:27:25 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 08:32:22 am »
If the pH balancer you mention was 5.2, skip it.  It doesn't work.  It's unnecessary for extract.

5.2 is basically useless for all grain too.  I tried one bottle of it and never saw any change at all, good or bad.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 08:50:13 am »

5.2 is basically useless for all grain too.  I tried one bottle of it and never saw any change at all, good or bad.

Paul

Yep.  I just rajj across a nearly full jar of it when I was cleaning up the brewery.  Used it 3 times and that was enough to figure out itnnwas wprthless and actually detrimental to flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 09:23:00 am »

Paul

Yep.  I just rajj across a nearly full jar of it when I was cleaning up the brewery.  Used it 3 times and that was enough to figure out itnnwas wprthless and actually detrimental to flavor.

Yea, I tried 5.2 Stabilizer way back when without having a pH meter (flavor issues noted) and then thought I could use it up as a Burtonizer in English Pale Ales, but I agree that the flavor just came off "too alka seltzer like".  I tried dialing it back, but by then it was in my head and I didn't use it again.

As to extract brewing, I have had some wonderful partial mash and full extract beers that I didn't know were extract brewed until I commented on how fine they tasted.  One is a braggot that my LHBS makes (it is a cidery and winery, so it can't make straight beer, but the braggot fits the rules somehow.)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 09:38:20 am »

Paul

Yea, I tried 5.2 Stabilizer way back when without having a pH meter (flavor issues noted) and then thought I could use it up as a Burtonizer in English Pale Ales, but I agree that the flavor just came off "too alka seltzer like".  I tried dialing it back, but by then it was in my head and I didn't use it again.

As to extract brewing, I have had some wonderful partial mash and full extract beers that I didn't know were extract brewed until I commented on how fine they tasted.  One is a braggot that my LHBS makes (it is a cidery and winery, so it can't make straight beer, but the braggot fits the rules somehow.)

I have judged several BOS rounds that were won by extract beers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 11:06:24 am »

Paul

I have judged several BOS rounds that were won by extract beers.
I'm in a living situation where all-grain is not an option and am very happy with the extract beers I'm brewing. There's a real good selection of extracts available these days for brewing just about any style. See "Extract Exploration" in the current issue of Zymurgy.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women