Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Superbrau Yeast  (Read 5414 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Superbrau Yeast
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 11:53:26 am »
Like dried yeast, I think extract brewing has a bad reputation based on outdated information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 12:17:51 pm »
Like dried yeast, I think extract brewing has a bad reputation based on outdated information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also think it's because it's mainly new brewers who use extract.  I think the lack of experience makes more difference than extract itself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 04:44:23 pm »
I'd say either Saflager 34/70 or Lallemand Diamond Lager.

I agree with Denny.  If one reads the publication at this link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4187645/, one discovers that W-34/70 is the prototypical Frohberg lager yeast strain and Frohberg yeast strains grow best at 22C (72F) due to having lost a substantial amount of the genetic admixture from S. eubayunus that provides cold tolerance.  That is why W-34/70 is so forgiving.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 04:49:50 pm »
I received this old book by Leigh Beadle from 1978 and he swears that you can make all these wonderful beers with just a slight variation few ingredients: Superbrau or Munton & Fison malt extract, corn sugar, Hallertauer hops, Superbrau yeast, Burton Water Salts with/or without 1/2 whole grain uncrushed crstal malt.

That was the state of amateur brewing when I started in early 1993. One has to remember that an amateur brewer had limited options during that period of time.  I have stated many times that my aversion to dried yeast is due to the bad experiences I had with dried yeast when I first started out in this hobby.  The dried yeast cultures back then could best be described as survival yeast cultures. They are the main reason why I know so much about yeast today. All I can say is that the bar was pretty darn low.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:14:53 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline tommymorris

Superbrau Yeast
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 05:41:12 pm »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 04:38:23 pm »
Oh lord,  I remember the days when one could have any malt one wanted as long as it was Briess or Muntons.  I remember when Dewolf-Cosyns (DC) started to ship 50kg bags of malt to the U.S.  At 110lbs, those bags were unbelievably heavy and I was young and strong. However. brewing with their ale and Pilsner malted barley was an eye-opening experience of what was to come. DC was a huge step up from what we were used to using.  The only problem I had with DC malt was that it was floor malted and floor malted barley often as debris in it.  The rollers on my first Schmidling malt mill had many scars from tangling with foreign debris in DW malt. My favorite domestic malt for a long time as Schreier.  Their two-row was sweet and malty.   It was kind of like Rahr and Great Western on steroids.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 05:49:47 pm »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 06:04:39 pm »

Offline kurtrzebley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 10:31:38 pm »
Here is a link to an add  in the back of Popular Mechanics from June 1979 for a home brew kit that uses Superbrau Yeast.

https://books.google.com/books?id=YM8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=superbrau+yeast&source=bl&ots=rISi4w72Hi&sig=ACfU3U2OUodvnsEW_YAfl-ybZV_J0mV_Hg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiUlIuPrJnrAhUKrFkKHUSTCgoQ6AEwAXoECAgQAQ

OMG!  That ad sounds almost word for word that Leigh Beadle says in the book I have.  My primary is still fermenting away on the first five gallon batch I made using his recipe.   I wll definitely update here in late september with the results!

Also, I just want to add that I am not treating this a some sort of brewing bible, but just as an effort to try something a little out of date and to give me a break from all grain brewing... I am actually really attracted to the fact that this can be done in under an hour ( maybe not the 30 minutes they are boasting).  Last time I did a whole grain batch from cleaning to bucketing, I swear it took about seven hours.  Though I am a rank amateur for sure.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:44:24 pm by kurtrzebley »

Offline kurtrzebley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 10:42:53 pm »
LOL. Nope.

Bry-97 from Lallemand.

I forgot to mention ease of storage (vacuum sealed and refrigerated), pitch (no starter — just measure and pour), and cost (~$4.50 per 14 gram pitch). 

I know this is off topic, but, when using yeast, does the type of yeast matter when you are throwing fresh wort directly on top of the yeast cake from the last batch (i.e. racking and immediately introducing the wort into the fermenting vessel)? I am speaking of pitch rate of which I know very little other than throwing in the dry yeast or yeast prepped in warm water. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:45:50 pm by kurtrzebley »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 04:54:29 pm »
I know this is off topic, but, when using yeast, does the type of yeast matter when you are throwing fresh wort directly on top of the yeast cake from the last batch (i.e. racking and immediately introducing the wort into the fermenting vessel)? I am speaking of pitch rate of which I know very little other than throwing in the dry yeast or yeast prepped in warm water.

Yes. Different strains behave differently. Even if you are pitching a ton of yeast, Windsor is still Windsor and Nottingham is still Nottingham. They will still have characteristics unique to their strains. I keep yeast cakes stored in mason jars in my fridge for a long time so that I can preserve those strains that can be difficult to come by. When I am ready to brew again, I just pitch the pint of slurry in my mason jar or, if it is older than a month or so, I make a starter with about a quarter or half cup of the slurry.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2020, 10:00:01 pm »
Oh lord,  I remember the days when one could have any malt one wanted as long as it was Briess or Muntons.  I remember when Dewolf-Cosyns (DC) started to ship 50kg bags of malt to the U.S.  At 110lbs, those bags were unbelievably heavy and I was young and strong. However. brewing with their ale and Pilsner malted barley was an eye-opening experience of what was to come. DC was a huge step up from what we were used to using.  The only problem I had with DC malt was that it was floor malted and floor malted barley often as debris in it.  The rollers on my first Schmidling malt mill had many scars from tangling with foreign debris in DW malt. My favorite domestic malt for a long time as Schreier.  Their two-row was sweet and malty.   It was kind of like Rahr and Great Western on steroids.

nice. i know, it must have been a crazy thing back in the day. the things i heard from people who knew people who did it pre 2000 was "bathtub beer" and stuff. must have been a long slog to even get to those days when i started where it was exciting to have -roasted barley/2row/pilsner/a few crystal malts. and i think that was about it.

good anecdote.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 08:37:24 am »

nice. i know, it must have been a crazy thing back in the day. the things i heard from people who knew people who did it pre 2000 was "bathtub beer" and stuff. must have been a long slog to even get to those days when i started where it was exciting to have -roasted barley/2row/pilsner/a few crystal malts. and i think that was about it.

good anecdote.

It wasn't quite that bad, at least around here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 08:44:29 am »

good anecdote.

It wasn't quite that bad, at least around here.
Around here I had to order stuff from Jacksonville until a real shop opened in Tampa in the early to mid 1990's.  There was a "grow store" that had some supplies before that, but I didn't want to get busted by shopping there.  That and I didn't want to use brown hops.

Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 07:47:53 am »

good anecdote.

Brewing was only bad for me for about three years. Luckily, my home brewing supplier of choice was focused on growth. Instead of just catering to primarily new home brewers, they embraced to entire community. The shops where home brewing supplies were just a side business folded fairly quickly after shops like this one started to grow and were able purchase supplies at volume discounts. What made things challenging over all was that the entire American brewing supply chain was targeted at supplying the large industrial brewers.  Craft and homebrewing had to go offshore to acquire malt that was not targeted at making macro lager. All of the American hop cultivars available in the 90s were bred for bettering or being used in finishing hop blends as replacements for noble and English hops.