Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: YCH 2020 Virtual Harvest  (Read 2272 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
YCH 2020 Virtual Harvest
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:08:37 am »
YCH’s Hop Harvest Experience Goes Virtual!
Yakima Chief Hops invites you to experience this year’s hop harvest in the Pacific Northwest – virtually!

Available for free and to the public, YCH’s 2020 Virtual Harvest event provides every brewer with a behind-the-scenes look at hop farming, harvest and production, as well as educational seminars and discussions. For the first time ever, everyone across the globe will have the opportunity to witness the labor of love that goes into every pint.

This comprehensive harvest experience will last the entire month of September and feature: daily harvest updates, grower interviews, farm and facility tours, Hop & Brew School presentations, new hop variety announcements and more!

As a grower owned company with a mission to connect family hop farms to brewers, the harvest season is the heart of Yakima Chief Hops. Each season, they invite customers from all over the world to witness it firsthand. It’s a special experience and an industry tradition that makes growing hops and brewing beer taste that much better. In an effort to keep the hop and brewing communities connected during these challenging times, YCH’s harvest experience is going virtual to ensure everyone has the ability to join.

For those that have never visited the Yakima Valley during harvest, this is a great introduction to the overall process, taking you on a journey from field to pint. For those that are veteran harvest and Hop & Brew School attendees, it’s an opportunity to learn more about what YCH and growers have been doing this past year, from facility updates to new hop varieties.

To learn more about YCH’S 2020 Virtual Harvest, visit https://www.yakimachief.com/virtual-harvest/ Click Enroll to subscribe to the Virtual Harvest mailing list and stay updated on the event.

Homebrewed in the TN Valley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:13:45 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: YCH 2020 Virtual Harvest
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 09:26:57 am »
Drew and I will be doing a Q&A session for it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 05:14:40 pm »
I noticed that Yakima Chief refers to their hop farms as ranches.  However, that is technically incorrect.  A ranch is were production is focused on livestock.  Growing hops is farming.  There is no shame in using the term farm, even if it is in the American West.  In the East, all farms are farms regardless of if they grow livestock.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 05:55:52 pm »
Some started as Ranches, and still have the name. I've been to Perault Farms. They have a small herd of Bison, but it is called a farm. They can call themselves what they want.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 08:29:22 am »
I noticed that Yakima Chief refers to their hop farms as ranches.  However, that is technically incorrect.  A ranch is were production is focused on livestock.  Growing hops is farming.  There is no shame in using the term farm, even if it is in the American West.  In the East, all farms are farms regardless of if they grow livestock.

I think you need to go to Yakima.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 05:16:13 pm »
Kent and Herefordshire are 150 miles apart and can't agree whether hops are grown in hop gardens or hop yards - long live local differences, don't sweat it.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 04:33:13 pm »

Not now, super high COVID area

Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:07:28 am »

Not now, super high COVID area

While I agree now is not the time to travel (and my recommendation was tough in cheek) I spoke to a friend at YCH yesterday and he said things are much better there.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 08:11:38 am »
Drew and I had a meeting with YCH yesterday.  We'll be posting links to a coupke sessions we'll be involved with.  One thing you can sign up for now is the Virtual Sensory Evaluation.  You get sent a bunch of bale cores and do the sensory right along with Tiffany from YCH.  Costs $25 for shipping, and you end up with a bunch of primo whole cone hops. https://hopandbrewschool.com/event/sensory-session-flavor-in-beer/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 08:02:46 pm »
Danny, is there a registration deadline, or max number of participants? Sounds like a great way to spend some time with beer stuff, just not 100% certain I can be there live yet

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 09:59:42 am »
Danny, is there a registration deadline, or max number of participants? Sounds like a great way to spend some time with beer stuff, just not 100% certain I can be there live yet

As of yesterday I think there were 19 spots left.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 10:47:57 am »
Thanx Denny,  autocorrupt switched to Danny last night

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 11:26:38 am »
Thanx Denny,  autocorrupt switched to Danny last night

:)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 11:27:53 am »
Denny and Drew are joining the fine folks at Yakima Chief Hops Hop & Brew School "Virtual Harvest Edition". We'll be doing a Live Q&A session on Friday September 25th at 4PM PT via Zoom. (Details at https://hopandbrewschool.com/ ). It's free to join!

We want your questions about hops, homebrewing and harvest! We'll be picking 5-7 (number maybe different based on length of answering) and using the hop obsessed minds at YCH to get your questions thoroughly answered. Go to www.experimentalbrew.com/yakima to submit your question.

Winning submissions will receive a YCH Prize Pack with all sorts of goodies it. (That's why we're asking for your contact information - no resale of data is happening!)

And if your question isn't among those chosen, we'll be randomly selecting winners of additional prize packs. So ask your questions.

(Please note, questions must be valid questions to be entered into the random prize drawing. 1 entry per person. Prize packs can only be shipped to US residents. [people get dodgy about plant material crossing borders!])

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 07:01:59 pm »
Can't make it happen this year, but this would be an awesome club ed option if YCH was thinking about doing it again either later when people could get together or next year at harvest time.