Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: YCH 2020 Virtual Harvest  (Read 2271 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: YCH 2020 Virtual Harvest
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 04:17:38 pm »
This week’s agenda for this month long program:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 04:35:21 pm »
Fri. is looking especially good.  They're trying to get some of the flavor of the social scene in Yakima into the program.  Tacos and Sports Center are the 2 biggest things I look forward to other than the hops.  And I guarantee you that Ralph should not be missed. He's like a living encyclopedia of hops in the PNW.  He made a lot of the history he'll be talking about.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 06:04:40 am »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 01:17:35 pm »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 01:41:38 pm »
Drew and I were just asked to come back on the 24th for the Sensory Session: Flavor in Beer. 10 AM Pacific

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 01:48:18 pm »
And if you're interested in how cryo hops are made, check out the Wed. Session
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:09:32 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 02:41:04 pm »
And if you're interested in how cryo hops are made, check out the Wed. Session
I listened to one of the dry hop sessions last week and they spoke quite a bit about cryo hops. I have yet to try them but the conversation peeked my interest (again).

narvin

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 03:31:00 pm »
Drew and I were just asked to come back on the 24th for the Sensory Session: Flavor in Beer. 10 AM Pacific

Awesome.  This is the one that goes with the beer samples you could order for $25?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 08:38:27 am »

Awesome.  This is the one that goes with the beer samples you could order for $25?

I think so....I don't know a lot about it.  They just asked us to join and said simple are on the way.  When we did the hop sensory last week we discussed how the perceptions you get from smelling hops may or may not change when they get into beer.  This is the answer to that

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 09:26:12 am »

narvin

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 10:02:11 am »
Denny, I was thinking about your comments about tasting hop flavor in finished beer vs the raw aromatics, and testing new hops with dry hopping.  I know we’ve all heard the old “throw a few hop pellets in a coors light” trick, but it seemed impractical to me unless I was going to keep the beer warm after that for 5-7 days.  With the success you’ve had dry hopping for 48 hours at refrigerator temps, do you think this is actually a viable method?  Might want to buy bottles and recap them, but other than having a higher carbonation, it shouldn’t be much different than doing a whole batch.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 10:21:47 am »
Denny, I was thinking about your comments about tasting hop flavor in finished beer vs the raw aromatics, and testing new hops with dry hopping.  I know we’ve all heard the old “throw a few hop pellets in a coors light” trick, but it seemed impractical to me unless I was going to keep the beer warm after that for 5-7 days.  With the success you’ve had dry hopping for 48 hours at refrigerator temps, do you think this is actually a viable method?  Might want to buy bottles and recap them, but other than having a higher carbonation, it shouldn’t be much different than doing a whole batch.

I would guess it's not only viable, but likely would work better than a longer time at higher temps.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 07:48:05 am »
Last week:

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 08:47:58 am »
And a reminder that if you missed any sessions, they were recorded and available to watch later.  I intend to revisit the one on survivables....totally fascinating.

www.dennybrew.com