Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dampfbier for competition  (Read 1097 times)

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Dampfbier for competition
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:59:07 am »
I am thinking about entering a dampfbier in a local competition but not sure what category to enter it as.

I first thought historical beer (category 27) but it isn't listed as one of the beers in that category.

Maybe 34B, Mixed-Style Beer. I found one description that dampfbier is a cross between a hefeweizen and a pilsner. I would include a description of the beer in the competition.

Any thoughts as to what category a dampfbier would be entered?

Ralph R.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Dampfbier for competition
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:19:07 am »
Full disclosure, I don't enter competitions anymore. Hopefully you will get some feedback from those who do.

My opinion, if those are your choices, I would go with historical beer. Your description should be as complete and clear as possible, so the judges know what to expect. You might want to find a description on-line and use that as a template. It depends on the judge(s) your beer gets, but he/she should know that style well enough to know what its supposed to taste like.

Best of luck!
Roger

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:03:37 am »
Thank you for your thoughts Roger.

There is a style article from Zymurgy, Nov/Dec 2013 where I got a lot of information and I plan to use this article when I enter. In searching about this style I ran across some controversy about using hefeweizen yeast. Ron Pattinson calls dampfbier "a sweet alt" with none of the characteristics of a hefeweizen, and that the history behind dampfbier isn't true. ( https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/anyone-have-a-damphbier-recipe.102067/ )

I don't enter many competitions either. I enter my club's competition and (occasionally) the NHC. I do enjoy judging however.

Thank you again for your thoughts.
Ralph R.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 10:20:10 am »
When I had the Dampfbier  in Zwiesel DE, I was not a fan of it. I thought it had the clove phenolic, maybe I was predisposed to think it was there. I enjoyed the Helles from that brewery more, my wife liked the Dampfbier.

The brewery was closed. The dreaded handwritten note was on the door saying they were on vacation.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!