Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting in Corny Kegs  (Read 4447 times)

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Fermenting in Corny Kegs
« on: August 15, 2020, 05:54:27 pm »
I've just a few questions for those who are or may have done this. So, I've been looking at getting away from my carboys this year and was going to buy a SS Brew Bucket or two but then I looked over that Brülosophy article talking about just using a Corny. Thought about giving it a try and seeing what I thought. Though, this lead to a few questions..

1. How much yeast & trub could be estimated? In the article, they said to cut an inch off the dip tube but I feel like it would need more than that... And the pic looked like more... But who knows.

2. I have Tilts, so can it be read through the keg just fine? I heard it can read through the buckets fine and I don't expect it to be that different but curious if anyone has done it.

3. Did you make any other modifications to the keg or just cut the dip tube? I saw some say they altered the gas out post but I didn't understand what they did or why.

4. I feel like I had a fourth but can't think of it... Oh well.. I'm sure it'll come back to me if it was really there.

Cheers!

~Allen

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Fermenting in Corny Kegs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 08:26:05 pm »
I've ben leaving my dip tube as-is and blowing the trub out under pressure. It works fine most of the time, but can clog up with a lot of dry hops or a chunky yeast like WLP002.

I recently got a floating dip tube that I plan to install before my next brew that should eliminate the clogged dip tube issue. I plan to set it up so it stops about an inch above the bottom to start, knowing I can easily trim it back more if needed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 09:23:40 pm »
Sounds like you're serving in the same keg? I planned to transfer out of it. Keep the cycle going and have back up kegs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 09:42:52 pm »
Sounds like you're serving in the same keg? I planned to transfer out of it. Keep the cycle going and have back up kegs.

No, I transfer. But the floating dip tube will ensure that I transfer clear beer to my serving keg.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 09:45:56 pm »

No, I transfer. But the floating dip tube will ensure that I transfer clear beer to my serving keg.

Ah, ok. That makes total sense. Can pull until the very last of the clear without worrying about it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 01:11:33 pm »
Don't worry about cutting the diptube.  You can always slip a piece of vinyl tubing over it if you need to extend it.  I cut an inch off mine and that seems about right.  Keep in mind that if you ferment in a 5 gal. corny you'll have to limit batch size to 3.5-4 gal.  Drew and I both use 10 gal. cornies.  You can ferment an 8 gal. batch in one of those.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 02:34:44 pm »
Don't worry about cutting the diptube.  You can always slip a piece of vinyl tubing over it if you need to extend it.  I cut an inch off mine and that seems about right.  Keep in mind that if you ferment in a 5 gal. corny you'll have to limit batch size to 3.5-4 gal.  Drew and I both use 10 gal. cornies.  You can ferment an 8 gal. batch in one of those.

I'm going to try fermenting in cornies. Split a 10+ gallon batch into 3 cornies, by weight. After fermentation transfer to 2 fresh purged cornies.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 06:11:06 am »
Splitting, that's not a bad idea.. I was just going to drop my batch size.. maybe depending on the beer I am going to do. My new kegs should show up Wednesday.. I should be able to whip some beers up after that. See what happens.. see if my Tilts read.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 05:53:29 pm »
FWIW, I ferment in a 16 gallon converted keg with a corny lid welded in and I have no problem getting Tilt readings to a iPod on the edge of my chest freezer.  I set the iPad just enough in the lid to hold it and I get readings just fine. 

I like the idea of a floating dip tube.  Do you install it prior the start of fermentation or wait until the end?  I wondered about Krausen if installed in the beginning, but more oxygen if installed right before transfer.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 06:38:12 pm »
I ferment in a 13 gallon kegmenter with Tilt and floating dip tube.  Works great and I have experienced no hanging up between the two while in the vessel.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 01:50:39 pm »
I have Tilts, so can it be read through the keg just fine? I heard it can read through the buckets fine and I don't expect it to be that different but curious if anyone has done it.

I have a Tilt, and it works fine from inside of a 10 gallon corny keg.  However, I can't get a reading though the lid of the chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 01:57:46 pm »
I have Tilts, so can it be read through the keg just fine? I heard it can read through the buckets fine and I don't expect it to be that different but curious if anyone has done it.

I have a Tilt, and it works fine from inside of a 10 gallon corny keg.  However, I can't get a reading though the lid of the chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber.
That's something I was "worried" about. In my carboys it reads reads just fine in my chest freezer from about 5 feet away.. hmm..

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 03:08:40 pm »
Question 4: Do I need to do anything fancy to cold crash? I have a CO2 collection device that I use and connect when I crash in my carboy.. I could just disconnect my out and not worry at all.. right? Or would that lead to issues..

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 03:34:14 pm »
Question 4: Do I need to do anything fancy to cold crash? I have a CO2 collection device that I use and connect when I crash in my carboy.. I could just disconnect my out and not worry at all.. right? Or would that lead to issues..

That's what I always did
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 03:41:25 pm »
Cool. It's what I figured since there is no way for O2 to get in.. but trying something new, so