Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting in Corny Kegs  (Read 4469 times)

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Fermenting in Corny Kegs
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 03:18:56 pm »
They arrived today!!! Step 1!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 03:38:44 pm »
Question 4: Do I need to do anything fancy to cold crash? I have a CO2 collection device that I use and connect when I crash in my carboy.. I could just disconnect my out and not worry at all.. right? Or would that lead to issues..

You can just disconnect everything and cold crash, but remember there will be a small vacuum in the keg afterwards.  That could cause you an issue if you forget about it and do something like attach a disconnect (would suck in a bunch of air).  Alternatively, you can pump in some CO2 so that it's under pressure prior to cold crashing.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 06:26:44 pm »
I've started fermenting in 5 gallon cornies and will do that exclusively after the last "beware of carboys breaking" post.  I recommend not cutting tubes or limiting batch size too much until you see how it goes for you.  So far, all I do is make the typical 5 gallon batch size, put it into a regular 5 gallon corny with the standard dip tube and a replacement lid with a hole in it for blow off.  I rack to a serving keg with a jumper hose- one end has a threaded fitting for the liquid ball lock fitting.  I unthread the ball lock fitting and blow out any trub and yeast until I get beer, then stop and re-thread the fitting on to complete the transfer to the serving keg.  Works great and I didn't modify anything.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 08:11:53 pm »
Question 4: Do I need to do anything fancy to cold crash? I have a CO2 collection device that I use and connect when I crash in my carboy.. I could just disconnect my out and not worry at all.. right? Or would that lead to issues..

I usually set my pressure relief valve to allow a bit of pressure to build up at the end of fermentation. I don't fully spund to serving pressure, but its enough to buffer a cold crash and it's also a jump start on the carbonation process.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:23 pm »

You can just disconnect everything and cold crash, but remember there will be a small vacuum in the keg afterwards.  That could cause you an issue if you forget about it and do something like attach a disconnect (would suck in a bunch of air).  Alternatively, you can pump in some CO2 so that it's under pressure prior to cold crashing.
Thanks for the tip! I didn't think about connections post.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 08:39:06 pm »
I've started fermenting in 5 gallon cornies and will do that exclusively after the last "beware of carboys breaking" post.  I recommend not cutting tubes or limiting batch size too much until you see how it goes for you.  So far, all I do is make the typical 5 gallon batch size, put it into a regular 5 gallon corny with the standard dip tube and a replacement lid with a hole in it for blow off.  I rack to a serving keg with a jumper hose- one end has a threaded fitting for the liquid ball lock fitting.  I unthread the ball lock fitting and blow out any trub and yeast until I get beer, then stop and re-thread the fitting on to complete the transfer to the serving keg.  Works great and I didn't modify anything.
Do you know how much yeast/trub is in the keg approximately?

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 09:52:44 am »
I usually run about a quart of yeast/trub slurry off before I start transferring to my serving keg.  There is usually more (the stickiest most solid portion) that stays at the bottom of the fermentation keg as well.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 11:05:39 am »

I like the idea of a floating dip tube.  Do you install it prior the start of fermentation or wait until the end?  I wondered about Krausen if installed in the beginning, but more oxygen if installed right before transfer.

Looking for thoughts on this. Saw some on MoreBeer for $18 but wondering if there is an issue with them being in during fermentation

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2020, 02:32:33 pm »
I have not had any problems with the floating dip tube approach - I have it in the fermenter all the way through to racking.  I use a kegmenter, so fermenter shape may make a difference - mine is shaped like a commercial keg, but is somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 gallons, IIRC.  The model of dip tube is Clear Draught - but I would think any would work pretty well.  The stainless ball float gets coated with krausen, but the pickup is below that, so it remains relatively clean through the racking.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 02:37:24 pm »

I like the idea of a floating dip tube.  Do you install it prior the start of fermentation or wait until the end?  I wondered about Krausen if installed in the beginning, but more oxygen if installed right before transfer.

Looking for thoughts on this. Saw some on MoreBeer for $18 but wondering if there is an issue with them being in during fermentation

I caution you on using the floating dip tube from MoreBeer. I was not impressed. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »

I caution you on using the floating dip tube from MoreBeer. I was not impressed. YMMV

What happened with it? The TurboKeg one, yeah? My favorite part about it was the price lol but depending on potential issues I'm not opposed to looking around.

Thanks, @ynotbrusum !

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 03:43:58 pm »
I think the one I have is The Bouy. It seems to get hung up on the side.

I have seen folks at HBT add stainless washers to help weight it down but I have not done that so can’t vouch for it.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 05:02:05 pm »
I think the one I have is The Bouy. It seems to get hung up on the side.

I have seen folks at HBT add stainless washers to help weight it down but I have not done that so can’t vouch for it.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/floating-dip-tube-1.html

Sounds like this one? That's what I was looking at anyway.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 01:51:47 pm »
I bought the Torpedo Keg Bouy from Morebeer.  The first time I used it was terrible with foam and venting CO2, but after that its been great.  The tube is coiled up in the package and took some time to relax.  I'd buy it again and probably will.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:52 pm »
I bought the Torpedo Keg Bouy from Morebeer.  The first time I used it was terrible with foam and venting CO2, but after that its been great.  The tube is coiled up in the package and took some time to relax.  I'd buy it again and probably will.
Did you add any weight to it?  I am thinking of giving it another shot but my first several experiences were not good ones.