Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with Coffee  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Brewing with Coffee
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:15:07 am »
I was hoping for a bit more detail in the article about brewing with coffee. If I'm making a cold brew, how do I figure proportions for my batch size? Do I need to sterilize it before adding to the fermenter? Whole bean or ground?
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Brewing with Coffee
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 05:57:37 am »
I was hoping for a bit more detail in the article about brewing with coffee. If I'm making a cold brew, how do I figure proportions for my batch size? Do I need to sterilize it before adding to the fermenter? Whole bean or ground?

I have added whole bean coffee to my porters on several occasions with great success.  However, I have never added coffee to the fermenter.  I have simply added about 1/3 cup in a muslin bag for a 5 gallon batch directly to the boil.  It’s the hot boiling liquid that draws the flavor.  I might be mistaken, but I believe you would need to first brew the coffee before adding it to the fermenter - but I’m not certain.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 06:26:14 am »
I’ve seen recipes where the coffee is brewed first and I’ve seen recipes where the course ground coffee is added to the BK at flameout or late in the boil.

One vanilla coffee stout recipe in particular describes adding 1.5 oz course ground coffee at flameout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 07:30:37 am »
I have added coarsely crushed beans to the keg with good results.  No need to sanitize roasted coffee beans.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995