Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do some home brewing suppliers stay in business?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How do some home brewing suppliers stay in business?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 09:22:26 pm »
the best advantage LHBS stores have is friendliness and keeping it simple and fast.

sometimes i just decide to brew that day or the next day, and ordering it online will require more planning (maxing out the value of a delivery order by buying any thing you might plan to use over the coming months) and using a credit card.

there are two homebrew stores. the one that has lasted and the one i use is one where they're quiet but friendly and you simply phone and say "i want X, Y and Z" and they say "okay pick it up at 2pm". boom done. no wait time. thats why they are still around despite the much better variety of stuff online available.

Offline josephung

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 12:18:03 am »
That is actually a question that I have not yet found an answer for, and I am also interested in this subject. I mean, the pandemic makes the life tougher even for big companies, than how do the home brewing suppliers stay alive, that is really ... interesting. I was actually thinking that maybe, those people are having some other business besides it, and they might earn their living from there. However, that is ... kind of a really doubtful theory. A friend of mine is also in this home brewing suppliers business, and he has actually called for the services of digiscorp. They helped him a lot in developing his website and many other things, he said that it is exactly what saves him during the pandemic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:02:58 am by josephung »

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 11:44:32 pm »
You have to take into account that kits do sell well. They have to factor in to the people just coming into the hobby and the people who don’t have a lot of time and money. They need to be for everyone at every level just look at northern brewer and other sites like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 10:39:09 am »
You have to take into account that kits do sell well. They have to factor in to the people just coming into the hobby and the people who don’t have a lot of time and money. They need to be for everyone at every level just look at northern brewer and other sites like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right--the real cash generator for those stores are getting people from the start and selling them recipe kits and ingredient kits. A lot of people will be repeat customers but the big sales are the early hobby purchases.

The markup on ingredients is also huge. A sack of grain might cost them $20-40 and then sold for twice as much per pound. A $10 pound of hops can be broken up and sold per ounce at $2/oz which turns $10 into $32. That's why stores want to sell by the pound/ounce over bulk if they can.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 07:12:06 am »
Have y'all had any interactions with AleCraft HBS and brewery?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline JonathanEL

• 1st Kit
    • 256 Brewers
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 01:48:37 pm »
Just my opinion, but I feel the best way for "today's" small homebrew shop to stay in business is to also run a brew pub similar to The Homebrewer shop in – San Diego, CA

Your ingredients would rarely go bad, if the yeast is about to expire brew with it, hops getting old brew with it, grain going stale brew with it.

That being said, someone in Northern Alabama, please steal this idea and open up a homebrew shop/pub ;)
Jolly Lizard Brewing
256 Brewers Homebrew Club
2018 AHA Bronze - Schwarzbier
2022 AHA Silver - Piwo Grodziskie

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 02:04:47 pm »
That being said, someone in Northern Alabama, please steal this idea and open up a homebrew shop/pub ;)
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 03:55:35 pm »
Just my opinion, but I feel the best way for "today's" small homebrew shop to stay in business is to also run a brew pub similar to The Homebrewer shop in – San Diego, CA

Your ingredients would rarely go bad, if the yeast is about to expire brew with it, hops getting old brew with it, grain going stale brew with it.

I spied some open bags of grain over at Bee Zr. I thought about helping myself...

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 06:30:54 pm »
+1

Or southern Alabama. Montgomery suffers from a shortage of breweries.

The real advantage a LHBS has over the online stores is to position itself as a center of gravity for the local homebrew community.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:32:53 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 06:33:05 pm »

I have been kicking around some ideas ... that's one of them. However, I have no money at the moment.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 06:34:08 pm »

I spied some open bags of grain over at Bee Zr. I thought about helping myself...

I can introduce you to the brewer he'd probably sell you some

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 08:45:57 pm »
+1

The real advantage a LHBS has over the online stores is to position itself as a center of gravity for the local homebrew community.
I worked down in dothan at a nuke plant. Their beer selection was 211 steel reserve you could buy at the dollar store lol

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 09:08:29 pm »
I worked down in dothan at a nuke plant. Their beer selection was 211 steel reserve you could buy at the dollar store lol
Dothan has more breweries per capita than the Montgomery Metro Area now.

The Other Drew

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2021, 03:05:22 am »
Holy s***!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 04:16:33 am »
By which, of course, i mean they both have one. But Dothan has like 2/5 the population (~145k vs ~373k).

Whereas Huntsville, a bit larger than Montgomery (444k), has something like a dozen.
The Other Drew