Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watery beer  (Read 1158 times)

Offline James Yuells

• 1st Kit
Watery beer
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:26:00 pm »
My beers are coming out watery. They taste diluted. I wonder if this is the result of extract brewing. I'm thinking about going all grain just to fix the problem.

James

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Watery beer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 04:13:29 am »
I did extract for a while and never suffered from watery beer. In fact, championship beer can be made with extract. If you can describe your process, maybe you can get some pointers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 05:26:45 am »
What style beer are you making and how careful are your water measurements?  What are your gravity readings?  Usually it is a function of water measurement errors, if using an extract kit, since the kit contains pre-measured quantities of your ingredients.  The other factor could be yeast selection, if using a highly attenuative yeast resulting in a low final gravity....we will need a bit more information to help you, but don’t be discouraged - there is usually a logical solution.

Welcome to the forum!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 07:13:12 am »
Extract beers can be bland.  Supplementing with a healthy steep of a pound of fresh crushed grains can help a lot.

Could also be a yeast thing.  Perhaps you would have better luck with Windsor or London ESB yeast or other lower attenuation yeasts.  I got great body and flavor from my last batch with Lallemand London ESB, I think it's become one of my favorites.

Late boil hops and dry hops also can help with mouthfeel to some degree.

Could also be due to carbonation that is much too low or much too high.  A good balance in carbonation is important.

Lots of things to think about.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.