Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The State of American 2-Row  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
The State of American 2-Row
« on: August 22, 2020, 11:27:08 am »
Is anyone using American 2-row as their standard base malt?  Of those who are using American 2-row as their primary base malt, is anyone using Briess Brewer's Malt?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: The State of American 2-Row
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 11:55:18 am »
Is anyone using American 2-row as their standard base malt?  Of those who are using American 2-row as their primary base malt, is anyone using Briess Brewer's Malt?

You bet!  Mainly Mecca Grade, although also Skagit, Root Shoot and a few others.  No Briess here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 12:04:33 pm »
I use Briess Brewer's Malt. I like it in American style beers. I use Weyermann or Best for German and Belgian style beers. Maris Otter or Golden Promise for British styles.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 12:19:15 pm »
There’s a huskiness I get in briess and great western that I don’t get from other base malts. I don’t find it that offensive, but it’s not pleasant either, so Ive switched to Golden Promise and have really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 12:28:14 pm »
Used Great Western for several years for APAs and IPAs. Tried out Viking for a few months with fair results. Just switched over to Briess Brewers Malt. First batch is in a keg and will be ready to drink in a few days. I've used Briess 2-row Pale on occasion in the past with good results, so hoping for the same from their Brewers Malt.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 12:28:23 pm »
You bet!  Mainly Mecca Grade, although also Skagit, Root Shoot and a few others.  No Briess here.

I figured that if anyone knew the state of American 2-row it would be you.  You gave me the head's up that Harrington had been replaced.  What is interesting is that Harrington was starting to displace Klages when I started to brew (Harrington was released in 1989).  People still referred to American 2-row as Klages for several years after it had been replaced by Harrington.

By the way, I am jealous of the variety of domestic malted barley available on the West Coast. Here on the East Coast, one can have any domestic barley as long as it is Briess.  My domestic barley maltster of choice for base malt was Schreier until they were purchased by Cargill.  I preferred the taste of Schreier 2-row to that of Briess.  It was far less bland.  Briess 2-row Brewer's Malt is the Melba toast of base malts. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:29:54 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 12:42:42 pm »
I have been using Rahr and Great Western lately. I used Briess Full Pint for a while. I liked all three.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 12:49:37 pm »
I used a bag of Briess earlier in the year, it wasn't all that bad. They are getting their barley from WY now. Around here the US two row is Briess in the shops. I used to see Rahr, but not now.

If your shop can order for you, Briess has malts made from Full Pint and Synergy varieties. Full Pint was developed at Oregon State, Synergy was developed at Montana State. Denny has used a lot of Full Pint from Mecca Grade.

http://brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Base.htm
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 01:10:30 pm »
I have been using Rahr and Great Western lately. I used Briess Full Pint for a while. I liked all three.

Been having a convo on FB along this line.  As much as I love and uwwe craft malt lime Mecca Grade, I find that sometimes it simply has too much flavor for my purposes.  In those cases I turn to Rahr and GW. Both are fine malts, just very different from craft malts.  They all have a place, just as different hops have a place in different beers.  People need to start thinking about the variation in malt the same way the the variations in hops.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 02:29:37 pm »
By the way, I am jealous of the variety of domestic malted barley available on the West Coast.

If you really want a craft malt you can get it on the East Coast, but you will have to order it online. MoreBeer sells Admiral Maltings, Northern Brewer sells Mecca Grade, and you can get malt directly from Skagit Valley Malting in 50 lb bags.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 02:33:36 pm »
By the way, I am jealous of the variety of domestic malted barley available on the West Coast.

If you really want a craft malt you can get it on the East Coast, but you will have to order it online. MoreBeer sells Admiral Maltings, Northern Brewer sells Mecca Grade, and you can get malt directly from Skagit Valley Malting in 50 lb bags.

Aren't there some craft maltsters in the NE?  Might be able to find one here...https://craftmalting.com/craft-malt-finder/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 02:49:34 pm »
I just picked up some Briess Brewer's Malt.  I like to keep some on hand at all times, even when I don't have any immediate plans to use it.  Likely will use it in a wet hop APA in the next few weeks anyway.  They make it right here in my own county, Manitowoc County.  So fresh, it would probably be a sin not to use it at least once in a while.  In the old Rahr complex no less!  I know people in downtown Manitowoc often complain about the smell of the malting process.  To me it smells like money.  I tell those people to quit whining, that they should be proud.  :D

I don't find it bland at all.  I just chewed on a few kernels.  Big crackery and bready flavors, with an almost-burnt toast acridness or astringency.  Not at all bland.  I'll use it anytime in any American style, and even in other old-world styles where I might want bready flavor.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 06:23:28 pm »
In the Philly area there is Double Eagle, run by Jeff Gladish's brother.

https://www.doubleeaglemalt.com/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

The State of American 2-Row
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 06:27:45 pm »
In the Philly area there is Double Eagle, run by Jeff Gladish's brother.

https://www.doubleeaglemalt.com/
They have a good looking portfolio

Edit: that’s the issue I have with craft maltsters. Rarely can you build your entire grain bill with their malts. They offer the base malts and a few specialties but to round out your grain bill you have to go elsewhere.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:05:23 am by BrewBama »

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 06:41:24 pm »
Also in the Philly area, Deer Creek Malthouse.  I love their Keystone Pale as a base malt and their Munichs are outstanding, and their Wheats and spelt...pretty much my go-to for 80% of what I brew with.  Excellent people too.

https://www.deercreekmalt.com/food-beverage-ingredients/