Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The State of American 2-Row  (Read 6911 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: The State of American 2-Row
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 08:08:11 pm »
In the Philly area there is Double Eagle, run by Jeff Gladish's brother.

https://www.doubleeaglemalt.com/
They have a good looking portfolio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My brother Alan sent me some really nice Pilsner malt recently. I made a German Pils and today a Pre Pro Pils.
I’m not sure if it is available at Homebrew stores though. 
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Fire Rooster

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 03:04:26 am »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 05:01:07 am »
I just finished off a sack of Briess Brewers Malt and I liked the results on a few American Premium Lagers.  I have been using Proximity a fair amount, because my LHBS gets it regularly.  That one seems pretty good in the American styles that I Brew.  I have tried several craft malts, too, and have not been disappointed.

On Continental malt - Believe it or not I just got my first sack of Barke Pils, so I am anxious to see how it works in a German Pils I made yesterday.

On the British styles, Golden Promise has been my go to instead of Maris Otter.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 07:52:59 am »
There’s a huskiness I get in briess and great western that I don’t get from other base malts. I don’t find it that offensive, but it’s not pleasant either, so Ive switched to Golden Promise and have really liked it.

Huskiness is a problem I got with Briess 6-row and some of their specialty malts, but has been at least 15-years since I last used any Briess product other than pale spray malt for starters and agar solidified media. Truth be told, there was a period where I used imported Pils malt for everything, even British and American styles. My biggest problem with Briess 2-row was that it had little in the way of malt backbone. I always had to add 10% carapils to recipes.  I tried to switch to British malt for ale styles, but I find British malt to be hit or miss when it comes to mustiness.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 07:59:51 am »
Briess has a base malt that is huskless to solve the issue.

From their website: “MaltGems is crafted by removing the majority of husk, fine grit, and flour from our milled Synergy Select Pilsen Malt. What remains is MaltGems — the heart of the malt — that can be lautered like a traditional brewer’s grind to deliver exceptional performance. This innovative product reveals true malt flavors with a remarkably clean finish. Expect balanced taste with notes of bread, cracker, and honey.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 08:05:03 am »
My brother Alan sent me some really nice Pilsner malt recently. I made a German Pils and today a Pre Pro Pils.

Do they give tours?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:30 am »
I just finished off a sack of Briess Brewers Malt and I liked the results on a few American Premium Lagers.  I have been using Proximity a fair amount, because my LHBS gets it regularly.  That one seems pretty good in the American styles that I Brew.  I have tried several craft malts, too, and have not been disappointed.

On Continental malt - Believe it or not I just got my first sack of Barke Pils, so I am anxious to see how it works in a German Pils I made yesterday.

On the British styles, Golden Promise has been my go to instead of Maris Otter.

Keep in mind that GP and MO are barley varieties, not malts per se.  What the maltster does with them is what makes the difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 08:50:48 am »
MO is owned by Warminster Malting, they make the most flavorful MO that I have used.

GP is owned by Simpsons. Baird Fawcett is their customer for the variety. This podcast gets into GP.

https://beerandbrewing.com/podcast-episode-146-Richard-Simpson/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:01:02 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 09:35:54 am »
MO is owned by Warminster Malting, they make the most flavorful MO that I have used.

GP is owned by Simpsons. Baird is their customer for the variety. This podcast gets into GP.

I've used GP from both Simpson and Fawcett.  Far ooreferred the Simpson.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 10:00:02 am »

GP is owned by Simpsons. Baird is their customer for the variety. This podcast gets into GP.

I've used GP from both Simpson and Fawcett.  Far ooreferred the Simpson.

I think I got that wrong, Fawcett is correct. Edited.

I still have part of a bag of Simpsons GP to use up.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:02:23 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 10:04:18 am »

Do they give tours?
I’m sure they do.  I will ask and get back to you.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 10:21:00 am »

Do they give tours?
I’m sure they do.  I will ask and get back to you.
He says yes, by appointment, but right now they’re in the middle of upgrades. When they get back to normal production they will be happy to start again.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 10:43:38 am »
I've been using Briess 2 Row Brewers Malt for the past couple of years primarily because of cost. It is typically $30 more per 50 lb sack than Maris Otter or Golden Promise. I would love to use MO and GP all the time but not when I can buy almost two sacks for what one of those others cost.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 11:44:52 am »
There’s a huskiness I get in briess and great western that I don’t get from other base malts. I don’t find it that offensive, but it’s not pleasant either, so Ive switched to Golden Promise and have really liked it.

Huskiness is a problem I got with Briess 6-row and some of their specialty malts, but has been at least 15-years since I last used any Briess product other than pale spray malt for starters and agar solidified media. Truth be told, there was a period where I used imported Pils malt for everything, even British and American styles. My biggest problem with Briess 2-row was that it had little in the way of malt backbone. I always had to add 10% carapils to recipes.  I tried to switch to British malt for ale styles, but I find British malt to be hit or miss when it comes to mustiness.
It’s been a decade since I’ve used 6 row malt, but the current great western pale malt smells and taste like how I recall 6 row used to taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 09:01:26 am »
I used to use Briess 2 row Brewers Malt for my IPA's.  I switched to a local malster West Branch about a year and a half ago for my pale base malt on a suggestion from Rob Stein (I also won a bag of it in a homebrewing competition).  I really like the malt and I think it makes the malt flavor in my Amarillo IPA pop a bit more.  Their malting facility is only about 20 miles from my house and they use locally sourced barley for their malts (I like buying local when I can).  It tends to have a slightly higher protein level than some of the West Coast malsters because of the difference in growing environment, but that is not a problem for this beer and I really don't get any haze from it.

For English Styles, like Porters, Stouts, ESB, and Irish ales, it's Crisp Maris Otter, since it is 100% Maris Otter barley and not blended with pale malt like Muntons is.  Although I sometimes seem to get a bit lower extraction from it, I like the flavor profile it imparts into these beers.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified