Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Plate Chiller  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cleaning Plate Chiller
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 09:18:25 am »
I feel the same way as BrewBama. I like to be able to take everything apart and see that it is clean. This discussion has me thinking, though, that if some gunk is hiding in a crevice and doesn't come out with hot water and cleaner being flowed in both directions, would it affect the beer? To rephrase an old question: If a piece of gunk falls in a crevice and there is no beer around to touch it, does it cause contamination?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 10:07:36 am »
To rephrase an old question: If a piece of gunk falls in a crevice and there is no beer around to touch it, does it cause contamination?

Based on the evidence above, I guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 10:13:40 am »
To rephrase an old question: If a piece of gunk falls in a crevice and there is no beer around to touch it, does it cause contamination?

Based on the evidence above, I guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have a plate chiller but I have heard that if you are concerned, you can always bake for a couple of hours.  Basically autoclaving it in your oven.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 12:21:05 pm »
I never got a plate chiller, but I am wondering about my counter flow chiller.  It’s all stainless and maybe I should give it a good cleaning along those lines and then bake it.  I rarely use it since I bought the Jaded IC, so I should store it ultra clean....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 06:47:31 pm »
The intake in my kettle is shrouded with a stainless braid and that does a great job of keeping larger particles out of the flow heading to my plate chiller.  When I backflush or circulate caustic, I only see minor crud in the flow.  I'd say that having an effective prefilter is an important consideration in keeping a chiller clean and sanitary.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 07:58:33 am »
The intake in my kettle is shrouded with a stainless braid and that does a great job of keeping larger particles out of the flow heading to my plate chiller.  When I backflush or circulate caustic, I only see minor crud in the flow.  I'd say that having an effective prefilter is an important consideration in keeping a chiller clean and sanitary.

+1
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 08:45:15 am »
I bet if you could take your chiller apart once you get it running crystal clear you would still find gunk in the crevices.

I highly doubt that, but okay.

I'd believe it.  People who have baked their chiller and carbonized whatever hop or protein deposits are inside find that black water does come out for a while.  Is that a problem, though?  Probably not, as long as you pasteurize it with some hot wort recirculation.  When I used a plate chiller, I didn't trust just using sanitizer because most of the ones we use as homebrewers are quickly inactivated by organic material.