Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% Attenuation?!?! WT*?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
100% Attenuation?!?! WT*?
« on: August 25, 2020, 10:15:06 am »
Hey All!

I recently purchased a Robobrew and have been loving it for its simplicity and the fact that it keeps my garage much cooler in the summer months with the lack of an open flame. I have brewed probably 15 beers on it so far and it works really well.

That said, I've recently brewed 4 beers, all of which have had 100% attenuation which is unbelievable to me. I brewed a double batch of Saison which started at 1.056 and finished at 1.000. I then brewed a cream ale which had an O.G. of 1.048 and finished at .998. I brewed a brown ale which started at 1.052 and finished at 1.009 (intended to be 1.014).

Grist:
Saison -
67.6% Chateau Pils
18.9% Chateau 2 Row
10.8% Flaked Maize
2.7% Special B

Brown -
73.2% Floor Malted Maris
9.8% Crisp Crystal 77L
7.3% White Wheat
4.9% Amber
2.4% Simp Choc
2.4% Gambrinus Honey Malt

Cream Ale -
67.5% Chateau Pils
20% Flaked Maize
10% Barke Vienna
2.5% Briess Cara 10L

Mash temps:
Brown - 156 60mins M/O 170 - 10 mins
Saison - 148 45 mins M/O 170 - 10 mins
Cream - 150 - 60 mins M/O 170 - 10 mins

Yeast Selections:
Brown - Imperial House
Saison - Imperial Napoleon
Cream - Wyeast American Ale II (no starter)

I'm fermenting in FermZilla vessels, but have been for the past year and haven't had this issue. I'm a brewer at a local brewery as well and have asked my co-brewers what their thoughts are and we are all stumped. Figured I'd reach out here to see if anyone can think of something we haven't yet. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:26:08 am by Brewtopalonian »
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
Re: 100% Attenuation?!?! WT*?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 10:17:22 am »
Oh, also, it should be noted that I've not been oxygenating my wort or adding yeast nutrients.
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 11:50:29 am »
How do the beers taste? Was there any pellicle or any other signs of infection?  I could see a Saison finishing that low, but not the others. Sounds like either your hydrometer is miscalibrated, or you maybe have an infection in your brewhouse.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 12:14:01 pm »
Beers taste fine, three BJCP judges here and we didn't detect any off flavors. Just puckeringly dry. No pellicle. Gravity taken with two different hydrometers (I was just as confused) and checked with water. Great questions! We had the same.
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 12:23:08 pm »
Maybe the mash temps were off (on the low side) and you got super fermentable wort?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:36:05 pm »
Maybe the mash temps have been off. I'm not 100% on those, but even still... It's hard for me to believe that'd cause 100% attenuation. I suppose it's possible. I'll double check my next one with a probe.
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 12:42:15 pm »
Have you checked the calibration of your hydrometer and/or refractometer lately. or made some changes in your brewing software equipment profile? If you've eliminated the possibility of an infection, I'd have to guess a measurement or calculation error.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 01:17:42 pm »
Maybe the mash temps were off (on the low side) and you got super fermentable wort?

I dunno if mash temps can be far enough off for that
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 01:32:15 pm »
you've confirmed you are measuring correctly, so I think all of this points to infection. Imperial Napoleon is a compulsive diastatic enzyme producer and will attenuate close to 100%. I imagine you have carried over some of that yeast to your other brews.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 01:39:55 pm »
you've confirmed you are measuring correctly, so I think all of this points to infection. Imperial Napoleon is a compulsive diastatic enzyme producer and will attenuate close to 100%. I imagine you have carried over some of that yeast to your other brews.
I am not an expert on this, but two of your yeasts are diastaticus and will ferment out completely.  I don't know about the third, but the possibility of cross contamination is good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 02:15:36 pm »
As others suggested and I was independently going to say anyway.... sounds like diastaticus contamination from the saison yeast.  Replace all plastic and rubber, including hoses and o-rings, and clean everything really well.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 02:22:27 pm »
Yeah the diastaticus contamination explaination seems most likely. I'll pasteurize everything before next brew.

Though, I didn't think American Ale II was diastaticus.  The cream ale was made prior to the saison. I've made all of these beers before, many times and have never had them come out so dry. I suppose it could be a combination of things.
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 02:41:30 pm »
My bet is on contamination.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 02:46:55 pm »
Diastacus is the most likely explanation, but .... How long does it take for the grain to get up to mash temp? Could it be that there is a long warm up period? I'm just not familiar with the Robobrew.

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 02:49:48 pm »
Diastacus is the most likely explanation, but .... How long does it take for the grain to get up to mash temp? Could it be that there is a long warm up period? I'm just not familiar with the Robobrew.

It's almost immediately the way I do it.  I add a little and stir, add more, stir... etc.
Keep It Simple, Stupid!