Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help starting a sour beer/mixed culture program at home  (Read 690 times)

Offline Nick Smith

• 1st Kit
Need help starting a sour beer/mixed culture program at home
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:42:51 pm »
I want to make a 5 gallon batch of let%u2019s say saison then split it into 5 one gallon jugs and pitch 5 different commercial mixed cultures or select Brett packs into each jug. Like 1 pack of Wyeast Roselare into one, 1 pack of Omega All the bretts into one , 1 pack of Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #3 into another etc... I also want to toss bottle dregs from good sours/brett beers I drink and have access to into some of the same 1 gallon fermenters. I want to start my home sour program this way but Im just curious if a whole pack of these mixed culture/brett packs mentioned above will be too much for 1 gallon of beer?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:15:22 pm by Nick Smith »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Need help starting a sour beer/mixed culture program at home
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:57:58 am »
What I had done was keeping just 1 gallon going from the dregs I liked as my "house" sour culture. When it was time to brew a full batch, I'd pitch a full pitch of my primary yeast for that batch (typically a Belgian or Saison strain, sometimes US-05 or 34/70), then add some of my "house culture" to it. I didn't really see the need for keeping a perpetual starter going for commercially available strains, since I could simply buy a fresh pack if needed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer