Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasted Barley and Stout formulations  (Read 4442 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Roasted Barley and Stout formulations
« on: August 28, 2020, 10:18:22 pm »
I was considering posting my thoughts about what dark beers I intended to brew, then thought again 'why bother? just think it through yourself', but searched the forum for roasted barley, and came up with only one medium-strength thread on it. So here's something:

To me, a basic stout is probably the most forgiving homebrewed beer as long as you don't go overboard with excess malts usage. It is the beer I've brewed most over the years, and the one I want most when I have drunk it all. So I'm being practical this fall and doing at least two dry stouts of slightly different recipes, likely three.

feel free to disagree, but my conceptions are:
-a stout without any further qualifications is a dry stout
-dry stouts should not have any caramel malts
-use flaked grains for body. ive found wheat and barley fine, but somehow my tastebuds are rejecting oat stouts lately. i dont know why.
-dry stouts should have a solid 6-11% roasted barley and  absolutely no more than 3% chocolate malt, i dont add any generally
-black malt is okay, especially if you want to qualify the dry stout as a historic example (the barclay perkins recipes can be scary looking ex. 97% pale malt 3% black patent), but i dont personally add it after one bad experience
-should have a strong bitterness (35-40 IBU) with no c-style hops
-for my comfort i like them 4-5% ABV

what i believe i have found about roasted grains:
1. the higher the lovibond on the roasted barley the better for stout. i'm sticking with simpsons roasted barley rated at 488.1 - 713.1 on their page, but my LHBS says 550
2. chocolate malt makes a porter. to me a stout is pale malt, flaked barley and roasted barley. a porter is pale malt, crystal and chocolate. they both can end up the same colour, but taste completely different (yes, i do love porter as well, but not like stout)
3. in an RIS, I stay mostly roasted barley with about half the weight of that as chocolate, but still try to minimize crystal malt.

so:

what do you disagree with me on?

what other secrets of any kind do you have for stouts or with heavily roasted malts?

i have been using brown malt and really enjoying it, but not in a stout yet. what do you think?

i generally use EKG + magnum in my stouts. lots of EKG.

anyone made an interesting variation on dry stouts?

how does a 1.05 OG 90% pale malt, 10% roasted barley stout go over? does it seem thin? ive never tried that.

how would a stout 9% brown malt and 1% black patent instead of 10% roasted barley go?

btw i do not drink sweet stouts at all.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 10:21:29 pm by fredthecat »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Roasted Barley and Stout formulations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 11:55:22 pm »
Not something I'd drink daily, but find a nice Stout enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not a big fan of Guinness, even drinking it fresh at St. James Gate. Not sure why, but just not my favorite. When in Ireland, I drink Smithwick's.

I've tried several approaches in brewing the style, and prefer the simple and traditional. I use domestic 2-row, reasoning that the base malt will be well hidden by the roasted malt and adjunct. The same goes for hops, and I only use a bittering addition. My go to recipe is 75% 2-row and 12.5% each, Flaked Barley and Roasted Barley. I go for ~3.5% ABV and an IBU/SG ratio of ~.750. I mash at 154, use dry English Ale yeast and bitter with whatever neutral hop I have on hand. (usually Magnum or Warrior) For yeast, it's usually Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell or Nottingham fermented in the mid 60s. Nitro doesn't do anything for me, so I carbonate to ~2 volumes CO2 and serve in the mid 40s.

If you enjoy a hint of smokiness, Cherrywood Smoked malt works well. I just add a pound to a 5.25 gallon recipe and call it good. I've also used Peated malt, but find that more than an ounce/gallon can be overpowering. While Stout is all about the Barley, I believe a hint of smoke takes it back to a time when malt was kilned and roasted over a wood fire.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 06:09:12 am »
Porters and Stouts are easily my 2 favorite beers.  Like Bob, I’m not a big Guinness fan, a bit too thin for me.  For me, a “Dry” Stout shouldn’t equate to “no body” for me.  I think that’s the trick to the style.

I think a base of 2-row, flaked barley and roasted barley is all that is really necessary for a nice dry stout.  I like to add a little pale wheat as insurance for a nice clingy, foamy head.  Better than a nitro foam in my opinion. If I need a slight color boost, I’ll add an ounce or two of Carafa. Completely agree that C malts are out of place here.

I like to push the ABV up around 6% (American Dry Stout?) so I’ll bitter into the 50’s, usually with Nugget, but whatever really.  I do like to add some Willamette at the end, though it’s a little hard to detect in the finished beer. Not adding enough maybe or just rather pointless? 

While I think 1450 makes the best Porter, I haven’t really found what I would consider my ideal Stout yeast.  Maybe the yeast isn’t as important here, I don’t know.  I’ll be brewing another next weekend and I’m going to try Bry-97 because I like its clean profile and how it drops out when it has finished its business.

I like to mash at 150-152.  Again, not sure that this is making a big difference vs. say..154.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:23:41 am »
I'm your rebel...

Most stouts and porters are essentially identical in nature.  Ingredients don't matter, they both can use all the same ingredients.  Taste the finished beer.  Is your stout not stouty enough, for YOU?  Call it a porter if you prefer.  Did you make a really powerful porter?  Great!  Call it a porter if you want, or a stout.  If you serve it to somebody blind and they don't know the style, they'd be hard pressed to tell you which style it is, i.e., no one really knows the differences, seriously.

Personally I think of Guinness as the absolute wimpiest version of either style.  More like a lite porter (but not a brown porter, mind you).

After reviewing several BOS and award winning stouts and porters, and seeing that they often have upwards of 10-12 different malts, I now brew mine the same way, always as a kitchen sink sort of brew.  Down below I've pasted my latest iteration, I tend to use whatever I have on hand at the time, and they always turn out great.  I mean, you're not worried about color, black is black, so anything goes.  Keep it simple if you like, but I like mine to taste deeply interesting and roasty.  I tend to go a little heavy on the dark roast to suit my own taste.  And like you, I don't use much crystal malts, don't want it too sweet.  I also now always toast some of the Maris Otter to give a beautiful peanuttiness, tastes identical to peanut butter, which I don't want too strong so I limit it to just a few ounces.

I have given up on oats; they've done nothing for any of beers ever.  I recently brewed a 50% oat witbier (no wheat!), and it has very thin body, zero head retention, doesn't taste "oaty" at all, and is nearly crystal clear.  And the mash AND boil were the stickiest gooeyest mess I've ever seen, but the finished beer, thin!!  In other words, oats don't do anything you think they do.  So now, for my stouts, I use wheat or rye anytime oats might otherwise be specified.  In fact I won silver in a competition with the following recipe for "oatmeal stout" which contained zero oats at all.  Here it is:

And I can explain reasons I used many of these ingredients:

Roasted barley, chocolate, black patent - yeah, you know why.
Rye for body and head retention.
4 oz crystal malt, I figured sure, why not.  Not like this will be overpowering.
"American Two-Row Toasted" is actually toasted Maris Otter.  Tastes like peanuts, I discovered many years ago, always works like a charm.
Victory malt, a little biscuit complexity if it weren't already there from the toasted MO (probably was anyway).
German Chocolate Wheat, I think I used just because it was laying around and I wanted to use it up.  Perfect fit in this style.
Phoenix, I had laying around too and used them up.
WGV, same thing, but what a perfect fit here.

I think any kind of hops can be good in a stout or porter, if not overpowering anywhere near Black IPA levels.  However I really do prefer the English style ones including American equivalents like Willamette, which is one of my favorite hops of all, I use it a lot and in any style.

Yeast is always like whatever I have laying around.  At first taste I was very skeptical of my choice of Munton's Ale Yeast here, it was extremely fruity at first, but after a couple weeks this mellowed and left just slightly fruity undertones that I found pleasant.  Honestly I used it because it was cheap and I wanted to try it for a while.  I think Munton's was like $2 or $3, MUCH cheaper than anything else out there worth trying.  If I had my pick of any yeast, I'd probably go with Lallemand London ESB or S-04, either would do very nicely here, or their liquid equivalents.  And US-05 wouldn't be bad either of course.

So that's my spiel on the dark ales, for now.  To further answer some of the other questions and comments in this thread, randomly:

I like beers with brown malt in them, but haven't used this much myself yet.  I would like to use it more in future.  Seems a unique flavor that you just can't get anywhere else.  It will take some time to "get good at it".

As I said previously, I like to go heavy on the dark roasted grains.  I don't know if 10% would suit my fancy or turn out blacker than midnight enough for me.  I like my current level of about 17-18%, turns out wonderful.  Any combination is fine by me, well except maybe limit the black patent to 2-3% at most or it can taste ashy.

pH is something to watch for in these brews.  You'll always need to add some baking soda or pickling lime, otherwise the finished beer tastes tart and can have a green olive flavor, which I've experienced MANY times from MANY different brewers over the years, it's a real thing.  And aim high.  Mash pH should be about 5.6 as measured at room temp.

Mash temperatures are always a matter of personal preference.  I change it up sometimes on a whim depending on what I think I'll want for this particular batch.  But a couple degrees does nothing.  Set it to 148 or 153 or 160 F if you want dry, middle, or drastically fuller body, respectively.  Totally up to you.  I probably prefer low to middle of the road, hence my selection of 150 F for this and for most beers I brew.

You'll see my ABV in the recipe above was only 4%.  But again, it just depends.  Brew whatever you like.  I've brewed Russian Imperials, I've brewed brown porters, and everything in between.  It's all good.  Yes, porter and stout is some of my favorite beer.  And I'm blessed(!?) with alkaline water from the tap, so for this area to use my tap water here, these are basically the best suited styles for me to brew without major adjustments to water and pH.

Okay now that's all...... for now.  Slainte!   :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:25:20 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 09:27:30 am »
Though I’ve yet to brew it, I have been wanting to try rye and choc wheat in a stout.  I usually brew milk stouts but need to try it sometime.

I would probably not add three or four different dark roast malts like Dave, but his recipe looks interesting.

From what I understand the difference in a porter and stout is the brown malt (in the porter). Who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 03:13:25 pm »
I'm your rebel...

Most stouts and porters are essentially identical in nature.  Ingredients don't matter, they both can use all the same ingredients.  Taste the finished beer.  Is your stout not stouty enough, for YOU?  Call it a porter if you prefer.  Did you make a really powerful porter?  Great!  Call it a porter if you want, or a stout.  If you serve it to somebody blind and they don't know the style, they'd be hard pressed to tell you which style it is, i.e., no one really knows the differences, seriously.

Great post.  I either agree with or can’t really argue with anything you wrote.  Except the above.   :)

Whether or not people know the difference between a Stout or a Porter, I think in this day and age, there should be a difference.  I’ve always felt that Stout = Roast (more dry, coffee-like) and Porter = No roast (slight sweetness, chocolate).  That’s my definition.  Brewer’s Choice on how one gets there, but that’s what I try and do when I make these styles.  I’m not saying I’m right mind you.  Just that there should be *some* difference.  I’m perfectly fine with handing one of my Stouts to a willing drinker and getting a reply like, “Hmm..that’s a pretty good/poor Porter”. But I better be able to tell the difference between what I call a Stout and what I call a Porter. And thankfully, I can.

And great rant on Oats.  I always find it funny when I hear someone say they use Oats for foam and head retention.  Um, Not exactly...

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 03:55:01 pm »
A Stout is merely a robust Porter. The word "stout" is merely a synonym for the word "robust".  Where one decides that a Porter is robust enough to warrant the transition to the name (or alternately the addition of the prefacing name) Stout is mainly a matter of personal perspective.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 04:30:50 pm »
A Stout is merely a robust Porter. The word "stout" is merely a synonym for the word "robust".  Where one decides that a Porter is robust enough to warrant the transition to the name (or alternately the addition of the prefacing name) Stout is mainly a matter of personal perspective.

I respectfully disagree (but I’m also completely willing to accept that I’m wrong). Maybe that definition above was true hundreds of years ago, but I don’t think it is really relevant anymore. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 06:48:39 pm »
i used 18% oats once, 10% golden naked oats and 8% flaked oats in a stout. and i hated the taste. i had another beer later that said it used golden naked oats and it was the same flavour. so i dont think ill use malted oats again. really strong twangy, woody unpleasant kind of taste. its been a while since i had it

i think since the 1990s theres a pretty clear division between porters and stouts

i forgot to ask about chocolate wheat or roasted wheat(?) or other grains that are roasted.

I used to enjoy guinness when I was younger, I think it was the first whole beer I drank. We used to get it without the nitro, and at 5% in bottles only. Once craft beer started growing, there were more choices, but over the years I've come back to a simple stout. I don't treat it like a 'treat' beer, but one I will down several pints of. So I'd go as I said 10% roasted barley, 5 to 10% flaked barley and 80-85% pale malt.

I still dislike nitro, as I think it really dulls the flavour, but I'm aiming for a mid 4% stout this time around.

I've really often use S-05 for it, and its passable for a stout, but just isn't quite there. I think it can fit an american porter really well though. Someone mentioned brown malt, and that porter was one pound of brown malt and a half pound of chocolate with some crystal. It was really, really excellent.

I'm using WLP023 this time to try it out.

Anyone try a stout with a belgian yeast?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 06:59:13 am »
For me, a porter has to have some Crystal malt character but a stout doesn't need it. A porter is like a brown ale's roasty big brother.

That being said, the roast is the dominant feature in both styles. If you put a porter in front of me and called it a stout, or vice-versa, I doubt I could tell you otherwise for all but the driest dry stouts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 10:41:43 am »
so, i made a dry stout with 10% simpsons roasted barley, OG 1.045 and EKG to 37 IBU

Slightly bummed out as it feels so weak in the roast department. I'm guessing the yeast might have been a factor? WLP013 vs s05 before.

I saw denny post here or somewhere about adding black patent to get that "ooomph" feel, and i can really see what he means now. i would add 5% either chocolate or black patent for sure in a repeat.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 11:39:52 am »
My stout recipe is 9% Roast Barley and 3% Carafa II. The roast comes out to my liking and the beer finishes dry and sessionable.  BRY-97 is the yeast I lean on for Stouts anymore.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 12:28:02 pm »
For me, a porter has to have some Crystal malt character but a stout doesn't need it. A porter is like a brown ale's roasty big brother.

That being said, the roast is the dominant feature in both styles. If you put a porter in front of me and called it a stout, or vice-versa, I doubt I could tell you otherwise for all but the driest dry stouts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Totally agree with the first sentence but I guess I shoot for, in my brewing and in commercial options, a porter to have a lot of crystal malt character balanced with roastiness rather than dominated by roastiness.
I find that a lot of breweries make porters that I actually think clearly are stouts. Some of them are quite good stouts but I don’t know why they call them porters. If the beer is completely dominated by roast flavors and opaque black it’s a stout in my book.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 12:42:32 pm »
so, i made a dry stout with 10% simpsons roasted barley, OG 1.045 and EKG to 37 IBU

Slightly bummed out as it feels so weak in the roast department. I'm guessing the yeast might have been a factor? WLP013 vs s05 before.

I saw denny post here or somewhere about adding black patent to get that "ooomph" feel, and i can really see what he means now. i would add 5% either chocolate or black patent for sure in a repeat.

Yeah, IMO adding an oz. or 2 of black patent gave it a kick that kept it from being boring
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 05:41:16 am »
The defining component of London stouts and porters is brown malt - for instance the Fuller's porter, which is pretty much the benchmark for London porters, is 14% crystal, 10% brown, 1.5% chocolate.

Compare that with the typical Guinness clone which is 20% flaked barley, 10% roast barley. And historically Guinness added the really bitter beer from the yeast presses and Old Beer Storage (OBS) - beer that had gone off - to make the rather boring basic beer a bit more interesting. You also had things like the high-low pour which was essentally an on-the-bar recreation of the old 19th century porter blends, using a mix of a fresh cask and a tired one. So a hint of acetic tartness is definitely part of the traditional Guinness taste.

There was a Guinness ad that had an actual recipe (with x tonnes of barley and so on, the gist being you could do this...or we could do it for you) but I can't find it now.