Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Roasted Barley and Stout formulations  (Read 4441 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Roasted Barley and Stout formulations
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 07:55:01 am »
The only thing I have to add is that while I think there can be some overlap between Porters and Stouts they can also be distinctly different and not the same.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Roasted Barley and Stout formulations
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 08:07:36 am »
so, i made a dry stout with 10% simpsons roasted barley, OG 1.045 and EKG to 37 IBU

Slightly bummed out as it feels so weak in the roast department. I'm guessing the yeast might have been a factor? WLP013 vs s05 before.

I saw denny post here or somewhere about adding black patent to get that "ooomph" feel, and i can really see what he means now. i would add 5% either chocolate or black patent for sure in a repeat.
Why wait?  Steep some Black Patent or Choc and use a syringe to add a measured qty of the ‘tea’ to a measured qty of the base beer to get an idea of the impact it will have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 08:21:59 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 08:29:20 am »
so, i made a dry stout with 10% simpsons roasted barley, OG 1.045 and EKG to 37 IBU

Slightly bummed out as it feels so weak in the roast department. I'm guessing the yeast might have been a factor? WLP013 vs s05 before.

I saw denny post here or somewhere about adding black patent to get that "ooomph" feel, and i can really see what he means now. i would add 5% either chocolate or black patent for sure in a repeat.
Why wait?  Steep some Black Patent or Choc and use a syringe to add a measured qty of the ‘tea’ to a measured qty of the base beer to get an idea of the impact it will have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From my point of view steeping would skew the test since it changes the dark malt character so much.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 12:28:41 pm »

Yeah, IMO adding an oz. or 2 of black patent gave it a kick that kept it from being boring
I really plan to brew a dry stout for this coming St. Pats day and have 1 oz of black patent on hand to use in a two gallon batch.
Do you recommend the pale ale malt/flaked barley/roast barley "normal" formulation?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 12:44:25 pm »

For a dry stout, that's the way to go.  Of course, you could add cinnamon rolls and chocolate cake to it...;)

Yeah, IMO adding an oz. or 2 of black patent gave it a kick that kept it from being boring
I really plan to brew a dry stout for this coming St. Pats day and have 1 oz of black patent on hand to use in a two gallon batch.
Do you recommend the pale ale malt/flaked barley/roast barley "normal" formulation?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 01:24:13 pm »

i had two last night and they were definitely delicious, i did 5% flaked barley and 3% flaked oats (i didnt buy enough barley) and while not heavy, it tastes great.

for a more assertive taste (if you want that) i'd add 2 to 4 % black patent or go ~15% roasted barley, or really whatever else you want.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 07:26:50 am »
I still use flaked oats sometimes, but never for body or head retention. I use it for flavor contribution only, but I never use it raw, I  always toast it first. I get literally nothing from using raw flaked oats.