Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NZ Pilsner Recipe Critique  (Read 2072 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
NZ Pilsner Recipe Critique
« on: August 22, 2020, 03:39:44 pm »
Ok, I have never had one of these beers and I am basing my attempt off of Gordon Strong's style guideline draft (https://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/x5-new-zealand-pilsner/). Let me know what you would recommend. I have cascade, amarillo, simcoe, galaxy and chinook available, as well.

for 11 gallons:
91% Viking Pils
4.5% Weyermann Carafoam
2.25% Great Western White Wheat
2.25% Weyermann Acid Malt

1 oz Millennium 15.5% AA 60 mins
1 oz Palisade Cryo Hops ~14% AA (calculated due to hops being unopened frozen 2017) 5 mins
2 oz Nelson Sauvin 12% AA Flameout

Mash at 149F for 60 mins
WLP802 fermented at 50F, raised to 68F when finished, then lagered at 34F for 2-4 months and kegged with gelatin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: NZ Pilsner Recipe Critique
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 04:09:02 pm »
Ok, I have never had one of these beers and I am basing my attempt off of Gordon Strong's style guideline draft (https://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/x5-new-zealand-pilsner/). Let me know what you would recommend. I have cascade, amarillo, simcoe, galaxy and chinook available, as well.

for 11 gallons:
91% Viking Pils
4.5% Weyermann Carafoam
2.25% Great Western White Wheat
2.25% Weyermann Acid Malt

1 oz Millennium 15.5% AA 60 mins
1 oz Palisade Cryo Hops ~14% AA (calculated due to hops being unopened frozen 2017) 5 mins
2 oz Nelson Sauvin 12% AA Flameout

Mash at 149F for 60 mins
WLP802 fermented at 50F, raised to 68F when finished, then lagered at 34F for 2-4 months and kegged with gelatin

Depends on howm authentic you want to be.   Most I had there had  no wheat.  I believe all I had were made with ale yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 08:16:22 pm »
Depends on howm authentic you want to be.   Most I had there had  no wheat.  I believe all I had were made with ale yeast.

I suppose it's really more like, "I want a refreshing pale lager" than anything else. My original thought was just brewing a basic German Pilsner with US hops (Millennium, Mt. Hood and Sterling) and having a Single (WLP545) and a Pilsner (WLP802) from that brew. Then I got the idea to try a NZ pilsner instead. I read that wheat was occasionally included and that ale yeast was sometimes used, but I have been meaning to brew again with my WLP802 and I suppose the wheat was just because I like the billowy head that I get from a touch of wheat.

I am also planning to split the batch and brew half with WLP545 to help build up a lot of yeast for a beer I am planning to brew in a couple weeks. At one point, I was just going to do 5.5 gallons of a Trappist single.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:51:59 pm by skyler »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 04:52:50 pm »
Anyway, I slightly modified this recipe to consider hop utilization losses from using my stainless spider on this one. I literally just pushed the Palisades over to 10 mins and otherwise brewed as planned. Got a slight efficiency bump, ended at 1.050, with an expected 37 IBUs. Mashed at 150F. Water profile pretty soft -- just about 56 ppm Ca, 7 ppm Mg, 22 ppm Na, 100 ppm Sulfate, 67 ppm Chloride and 16 ppm Bicarbonate (starting with RO). I used Brewtan B in the mash, sparge and boil, but I have a copper Immersin chiller and I did not pre-boil my water, so this is not a truly Low DO beer.