Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: advice on german pils brewed with distilled  (Read 1939 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
advice on german pils brewed with distilled
« on: September 02, 2020, 11:57:56 am »
i wanna do another experiment with a G pils using distilled and adding gypsum etc to it, Can someone point me in a direction? i do not have brun water or any other calculator at the moment, so say my mash volume is 3.5 gallons(distilled) and equal volume for sparge, what should i put and how much to get a nice bright hoppy but balanced crisp G pils?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: advice on german pils brewed with distilled
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:01:19 pm »
Get Brunwater and uwwe the yellow dry or boiled Jever profile
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 12:05:26 pm »
unfortunately i cannot get any software at the moment, how would you wing this Denny?
Matty

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 12:15:54 pm »
I don’t have anything in front of me to reference, but seat of the pants, I would wing it at strike: 3g CaSO4, 3 g CaCl2, .5 g Brewtan B .  Mash with at least .25 up to .5 pounds of acidulated malt.  That should be in the ballpark, but I would run it through a free calculator and see what I got before brewing....Adjust sparge water with lactic or phosphoric acid as needed (minimal I bet).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 12:29:44 pm »
unfortunately i cannot get any software at the moment, how would you wing this Denny?

I wouldn't especially without knowing your grist.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 12:30:43 pm »
I don’t have anything in front of me to reference, but seat of the pants, I would wing it at strike: 3g CaSO4, 3 g CaCl2, .5 g Brewtan B .  Mash with at least .25 up to .5 pounds of acidulated malt.  That should be in the ballpark, but I would run it through a free calculator and see what I got before brewing....Adjust sparge water with lactic or phosphoric acid as needed (minimal I bet).

For a G pils I usually have more sulfate than chloride

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:33:31 pm »

I wouldn't especially without knowing your grist.
I just made 10 gallons of German Pils using Brunwater's Jever profile and RO water. If I remember I will see what I added when I get home to consult my notes.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:46:42 pm »
im a silly man i actually have brun water lol, i'm using 100% pilsner malt(viking) im going with 1.9g gypum, 0.9g calcium chloride and 0.7g epsom salt for the mash 3.5 gallons 1.4ml 88% lactic to acidify

for the sparge- 4 gallons(not equal like i mentioned before but close) 2.2 g gypsum, 1g calcium chloride and 0.8g epsom salt and for acidification 1.6ml lactic

according to brun water this gets me to est mash of 5.39, (calcium 59, mg 5, sodium 8, sufate 104, chloride 46 and bicarbonate -58)

this seems right on the money right?
Matty

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 01:59:41 pm »
im a silly man i actually have brun water lol, i'm using 100% pilsner malt(viking) im going with 1.9g gypum, 0.9g calcium chloride and 0.7g epsom salt for the mash 3.5 gallons 1.4ml 88% lactic to acidify

for the sparge- 4 gallons(not equal like i mentioned before but close) 2.2 g gypsum, 1g calcium chloride and 0.8g epsom salt and for acidification 1.6ml lactic

according to brun water this gets me to est mash of 5.39, (calcium 59, mg 5, sodium 8, sufate 104, chloride 46 and bicarbonate -58)

Yep.  A s;lightly lower pH wouldn't be bad, but neither is what you've got there.  I don't treat my sparge water either, but that doesn't mean you can't.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 02:02:24 pm »

Yep.  A s;lightly lower pH wouldn't be bad, but neither is what you've got there.  I don't treat my sparge water either, but that doesn't mean you can't.
a ph of 5.2 is probably more ideal right? so when you say you dont treat your sparge you mean just throw all the salts in the mash and the untreated sparge will dilute it down to target?
Matty

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 03:07:31 pm »
I put all the salts in the mash and add a small portion of acid to the sparge.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 03:16:36 pm »

ive been using brewtarget for more than a decade now. its free and works on windows, mac and linux. if you dont want to spend the time dialing it in, you can use https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

not sure if it works well, but would get you closer? and yes, BRUN water is free

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 03:59:39 pm »
A mash pH of 5.4 is good when mashing a grist with a lot of pils malt. It aids in the eventual removal of DMS. It is appropriate to bring the wort pH to under 5.2 at the end of the boil.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 04:02:06 pm »
A mash pH of 5.4 is good when mashing a grist with a lot of pils malt. It aids in the eventual removal of DMS. It is appropriate to bring the wort pH to under 5.2 at the end of the boil.

I was going to say that 5.2 was a bit low for the mash, but the expert beat me to it....looks like you have a pretty good idea on where to head.  Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 06:39:57 pm »

If you can post here, you can access any of the free water calculators. All it takes is internet access, which you apparently have.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV