Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: advice on german pils brewed with distilled  (Read 1950 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: advice on german pils brewed with distilled
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 09:57:12 am »
maybe someone can help correct what im doing wrong with bru'n water.  on brewday i got total different results then predicted, my sparge water was supposed to be 5.6 ended up being 3.5  :(, my mash ph was supposed to be 5.39 ended up being closer to 5.5, i filled out everything according to my starting water, added my grist in this case 100%pils, added enough gypsum,cal chloride and epsom to get to yellow dry profile everything seemed right on paper but not translating to my actual brew day, what might i be doing wrong?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 10:34:28 am »
i did some minor tiny adjustments to the mash and just sparged with the 3.5 ph water for the hell of it lol, the pre boil wort is 5.39 so i guess i'll be alright after all
Matty

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 10:48:50 am »
Looks at the sparge acidification tab in Bru’n water. Pretty straight forward. Take the pH of your distilled. Probably in the 7-8 range. Then select your target pH. Add acid to reach.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 10:50:53 am »
The pH of water is far less important than the buffering capacity of the ions dissolved in it. Distilled water has zero buffering capacity, so even a small acid addition can lead to large swings in pH. This doesn't necessarily translate to large differences once added to the mash. I wouldn't worry about the pH of your sparge water too much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 11:16:06 am »
The pH of water is far less important than the buffering capacity of the ions dissolved in it. Distilled water has zero buffering capacity, so even a small acid addition can lead to large swings in pH. This doesn't necessarily translate to large differences once added to the mash. I wouldn't worry about the pH of your sparge water too much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I do no adjustment to sparge water.  Of course, the water I use doesn't have a heavy mineral load.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 11:30:29 am »

I do no adjustment to sparge water.  Of course, the water I use doesn't have a heavy mineral load.

That’s interesting. I heat up all my water (strike + sparge), add minerals to the whole thing, then pour off the sparge liquor to hold for later.  Once I add strike liquor to the grain creating the mash, I add Brewtan B and acid (if required).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 06:56:14 pm »
Alot of you dont treat your sparge, only your mash water but wouldn't that dilute your target profile? Or just add what you would add to the spare in the mash ,so like for example say brun water says add 2 g gypsum to the mash and 2 g of gypsum to the sparge just add 4 g to the mash and forget the spare water?I know it's probably a real eye roller for you sorry
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 06:58:20 pm by MattyAHA »
Matty

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 05:45:24 am »
Alot of you dont treat your sparge, only your mash water but wouldn't that dilute your target profile?

When brewing beers with lightly mineralized water, dilution is exactly the goal. Over-mineralizing the mashing water to help with mashing processes and then diluting the finished wort to the low target concentrations works well.

Regarding sparging water adjustment and pH, waters with little alkalinity do not require any acidification. If the pH measurement of treated sparging water is below 5, you’ve probably mis-entered something. It should never be that low. But that’s not true for mashing water since it’s pH prior to adding the grain can easily be less than 4. Thoses grains buffer the mash pH into the proper range.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 07:36:35 am »
im a silly man i actually have brun water lol, i'm using 100% pilsner malt(viking) im going with 1.9g gypum, 0.9g calcium chloride and 0.7g epsom salt for the mash 3.5 gallons 1.4ml 88% lactic to acidify

for the sparge- 4 gallons(not equal like i mentioned before but close) 2.2 g gypsum, 1g calcium chloride and 0.8g epsom salt and for acidification 1.6ml lactic

according to brun water this gets me to est mash of 5.39, (calcium 59, mg 5, sodium 8, sufate 104, chloride 46 and bicarbonate -58)

this seems right on the money right?

Matty:  I don't treat my sparge water with any minerals.  I just use phosphoric acid to get the pH close to what the predicted mash pH is.  I then calculate the difference between the mash liquor volume and the kettle full volume, calculate the minerals needed for this differrence and add them directly to the kettle.  I omit adding baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) which is what Bru'nwater says (there is a button that you can set in the watere adjustment page of the program that allows you to add minerals directly to the kettle)  This works well for me and I have been doing this for years.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 03:00:57 pm »
well in the end, it ended up being one of the best pilsners i ever brewed ;D very happy with the beer, impressed myself with this one
Matty

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 05:53:06 pm »
well in the end, it ended up being one of the best pilsners i ever brewed ;D very happy with the beer, impressed myself with this one
I love a happy ending, especially when it involves beer and water chemistry.
Cheers ;D
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 07:02:42 am »
I love a happy ending, especially when it involves beer and water chemistry.
Cheers ;D
yeah man, its always great when your work pays off, i been struggling to make a good pils for quite some time...its the water
Matty