Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keezer Fan Question  (Read 1210 times)

Offline ajjensen147

• Cellarman
Keezer Fan Question
« on: September 03, 2020, 10:09:50 am »
Currently in the process of making some updates to my keezer, and one thing I added was a fan to circulate the air inside.  I've seen various builds that include fans, but none that I've looked at really detail how the fan is hooked in, just that it's included.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience running the fan through the temp controller, or if everyone uses continuous power for their fans? I'm not concerned with the electric usage of the fan, as it is a small fan, but my problem is I'm a hair too far away from the outlet to plug it in directly, but my temp controller will reach the outlet.  My only concern with that is that without continuous power the fan won't have the desired affect, as it won't turn on often enough. It wouldn't be a big deal to pick up a short extension cord to plug the fan directly to the outlet, but if running off the temp controller would be sufficient, I would consider that for the neater look. Any advice/personal experience would be appreciated.

Thanks as always!

-A.J.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Keezer Fan Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 12:27:18 pm »
I have mine continuously going.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 01:24:55 pm »
I use 12V computer fans.  Skinny wire just slips through the collar with the tubing.  Low voltage wire can be as long as you need.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 02:22:35 pm »
Mine are small 12v fans that have an AC adapter (USB style) that came with each (my power cord just exits the back of the lid and is quite thin).  It runs continuously, using very little power (I have two chest freezers for fermenting and keg storage, so two identical fans).  I think the fans were about $5 each at Menards.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:36:26 pm »
Mine runs continuously too.  I got it on Amazon and it looks like a computer fan but has a standard AC plug on it.  I made a duct with 3'' PVC that I had lying around too to help pull cold air up to the top of the keezer.  I used plans from Moski Brewing but modified it a bit based on what I had around.

I think the setup works well.  it definitely does a much better job keeping the top of the keezer cool.  There is very little temperature variation.   

Fan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZRKTBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcqzQuowFHk

Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing