Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barrel Aging in used Wine Barrels  (Read 1239 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Barrel Aging in used Wine Barrels
« on: August 25, 2020, 05:01:24 pm »
So I'm sitting here enjoying a Cab Sauv that I aged in new American Oak for 18 months, third go around in the barrel. I'm wondering what style of beer would work well in this barrel. I was thinking a Saison/Farmhouse Ale with some brett? I really don't know what pares well with wine barrel aging.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Barrel Aging in used Wine Barrels
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 05:14:16 pm »
I think a Saison would be very nice. Really any mixed fermentation beer could work. A pale sour beer would be nice 60/40 Pils and Wheat. This would really let you taste the flavor that the wine barrel adds to the mix while adding another layer of complexity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 04:47:33 pm »
Flanders Red?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 04:11:26 am »
Flanders Red?

Sounds intriguing. That goes on the list of possibilities.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 08:57:20 am »
Oud Bruin  would be another choice.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 09:50:42 am »
You may still have a lot of tannins in the barrel, not enough perhaps for  red wine, but perhaps overpowering for a saison. I made a barrel-aged saison with a used barrel and I found it undrinkably tannic.  Taste frequently if you decide to do a saison.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 10:23:29 am »
I have aged a lot of beers in wine barrels. I have found the flavors of Belgians and Saisons go much better in wine barrels than in whiskey barrels. Darker Belgians go great in red wine barrels and lighter Belgians/Saisons go well in white wine barrels. I also aged some barley wine in brandy barrels which turned out fantastic.

I think the subtleties of wine barrels actually compliment many styles of beer, but Belgians are the ones I worked with the most.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 04:46:12 pm »
You may still have a lot of tannins in the barrel, not enough perhaps for  red wine, but perhaps overpowering for a saison. I made a barrel-aged saison with a used barrel and I found it undrinkably tannic.  Taste frequently if you decide to do a saison.

How long did you age?

This barrel was new and used 3 times for approximately 40 months total but that is a guess without looking at notes.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:23 pm »
I have aged a lot of beers in wine barrels. I have found the flavors of Belgians and Saisons go much better in wine barrels than in whiskey barrels. Darker Belgians go great in red wine barrels and lighter Belgians/Saisons go well in white wine barrels. I also aged some barley wine in brandy barrels which turned out fantastic.

I think the subtleties of wine barrels actually compliment many styles of beer, but Belgians are the ones I worked with the most.

Let me ask, were the beers of a higher ABV and how long on average would you age?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 04:51:36 pm »
Oud Bruin  would be another choice.

This one also intrigues me. I'll have to explore the beer. I don't think I've ever had one unless it was at a beer tasting event and definitely haven't brewed one.
Thanks!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 06:19:22 pm »

Let me ask, were the beers of a higher ABV and how long on average would you age?

ABV anywhere between 5% and 13%. I usually don't age many beers longer than a few weeks to a couple of months in any barrels. I think you pick up all the character you need in a few weeks without it getting over oaked, unless you are deliberately adding brett or bacteria - which I have done a lot of as well.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 08:28:58 pm »
I know it isn't the most popular view but I am a big fan of pale/light beers in red wine barrels. Saisons, tripels, pale lagers, strong ales, pale ales, etc.

I agree with the comment above that the barrel is probably still too tannic for all but the heaviest of styles for any kind of long term aging of beer. Maybe run another wine through that suits a lighter oak profile or run a beer through planning to pull and replace after a few weeks.

Tannin issue aside you can go a lot of directions with the barrel but once you add brett or LAB to it you really can't get them back out so think carefully about whether you want to run any clean beers through it before committing it that direction.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing